MAP Overlays

Last Updated:

1. stainless

stainless Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking for a way to overlay a route in google maps.
    What I want is to take this map Greenways Oak Ridge Google map
    and get it to my google My Maps.
    Then I can pull it up in Maps and use my location to see where I am in relation to where I need to be in case I want to take a different route to need to shorted the ride due to darkness.
    Most rides I do I can find these maps but cant do anything with them.

Advertisement
  2. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

On your Droid pull up the map application and open the menu. Select layers then hit more layers button. From there you should be able to access your maps under the "My Maps" link.

3. stainless

I know how to access My Maps. I need to get the data in there first so I can use it.

4. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

Oh sorry about that.

Go to Google Maps to create the route or pin locations. Once you save that and wait a few minutes you should be able to access that map on your phone.

5. stainless

6. JustDriftin

JustDriftin Well-Known Member

I have found a way. A long way but it works.

Download the gw.kmz file. Open it in Google Earth, on your computer, and save it to My Places. Then click on File (upper left) then View in Google Maps. Once it is in Google Maps, under My Maps you should be able to get in the phone maps but that isn't working for me so I emailed myself the link, opened the email on the Droid and clicked on the link which then gives you the choice to open it in Maps. I now have it on the Droid and can route and or view in when I want. I comes up in the Layers section.

Hope this helps.

John

7. stainless

I am not getting the link part.
    I tried the Link I posted and all I get is the web site.
    I tried all the google earth email options and get links to load google earth and the attached gw.kmz file but I can not get to it.

8. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

Based on the number of cemeteries on your map I would not care to get lost there:)

9. JustDriftin

JustDriftin Well-Known Member

OK, let me see if I can fix this.

"Download the gw.kmz file. Open it in Google Earth, on your computer, and save it to My Places. Then click on File (upper left) then View in Google Maps. Once it is in Google Maps, under My Maps you should be able to get in the phone maps but that isn't working for me"

If you can get this far try this, on the phone open the map program, click on Menu, than Latitude. If you don't want to join Latitude just click on cancel. Now check under Layers, More Layers and look for My Maps, it should be there. This is what I had to do to get it to show up on my phone's mapping program. If this didn't work read on.

so I emailed myself the link,

To email the link: on the right side you will see - RSS, View in Google Earth, Print, Email, and Link. Click on the email button. Your gmail email client will pop up all you have to do is enter your email address to send it to you. Then on the phone open the email you receive and long click on that link, you should get some choices to open it. One of them will be Maps, choose Maps.

I just realized that I used K-9 email, gmail might not give you the Map choice so I think your best bet would try joining Latitude to get it in the My Maps area. I'll test gmail but do give the Latitude joining a try.

Nope, I get the Map option in the Gmail program also.

Hope this helps

10. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

what exactly is 'my maps' and 'favorite places' for / how do u use (or add/delete) them?
    'my maps' is empty for me and 'favorite places' is filled with a bunch of places i'll never be ;p

11. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Download Rmaps from the Market and mark those places as POI (points of interest) label. Easiest way for permenant markers plus it has a bunch of icons to chose from.

12. stainless

When I click View in Google Maps all I get is the Google Map, No route info is transfered.
    When it emails all I get is the gm.kmz file which Gmail does not recognize. I even tried changing it to a jpg to get it on the phone and then change it back. Maps on m phone will not open a KMZ or KLM

13. stainless

14. stainless

BINGO !!!!!
    If you open My Maps you can Import KML files to google and save them