"MAPS" App seems to stay onSupport

Last Updated:

1. mikeb33

mikeb33 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I used my EVO for navigation while on vacation last week. Now, back to work, I just most make calls and texting. On Monday, after all night on charge, the battery was almost dead by 2 PM. I thought it odd, I have never come close to draining it on a regular work day. Then it happened again today, so I look at what has been draining the battery and it said 81% "maps". I haven't used maps this week. I looked at advanced task killer and it didn't show "maps" as being open.
    I took the battery out and rebooted it and now it is charging.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

I've only used the sprint nav so far but after hearing this I think I'll hold off on maps until I hear the all clear.

3. Elec7ric

Elec7ric New Member

With the maps/navigation always make sure that while your in the program to press menu then exit navigation this will close the program and save battery life

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

In using the navigation software, whether it be Sprint's, Google's or someone elses, the app will turn on your GPS. When you're done with the app, the GPS is still on, and it is occasionally used by some of your apps to get your location. This will drain your battery. So just set up a toggle widget for your GPS so you can easily check if it's on or not. keep it off unless you need to use your nav. turn it off manually when you're done.

5. kaisies

kaisies Well-Known Member

I had this issue until I updated maps/froyo, then it was all gone! Alternatively, you can click menu -> exit nav and this will indeed properly exit nav and stop battery use. It has nothing to do with GPS on, it still tracks you even though you close the program through the back key.

Mr. Ed likes this.
  6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

GPS on vs OFF I've seen no noticeable difference in battery drain.

Maps....it's always running and if I foreclose it...it just comes back on however it isn't draining my battery... only lik 3%.

The majority of my battery drain is cell standby

7. mikeb33

mikeb33 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've always had my GPS on since day 1. I don't recall using nav or maps this week. Is there a way to see what apps are running at any one time? ADK didn't see maps or nav running, though maps was responsible for 81% of my battery usage. Something like "task manager" in Windows?

8. will_a

will_a Active Member

With froyo, menu/settings/applications/manage applications/ -- running tab. Short press on an app to get the force close option.

9. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member

Similar thing happened to me the other day. Every once and a while I would notice the GPS being used/active in the notification bar but I wasn't using it and had no idea what would be using it since I was just sitting there.

I checked a few settings, found nothing running (I know to use Apps>Running Services and I also have SystemPanel) that needed the GPS. I double checked several things and verified settings, turned the phone off, yanked the battery, and powered back up and all has been good ever since. I have no idea what made my GPS become a run-away app of sorts :)

My GPS has been on since I got the phone - my choice, makes it easier for me when I use navigation, check weather, etc.