• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maps constantly running

oOMavrikOo

Android Expert
Aug 30, 2010
For the past couple of days, I've been noticing my GPS icon randomly popping up throughout the day. I know Google pings my location on occasion so it normally doesn't bother. But my battery has been really bad this week and today I checked the battery usage and it's showing Maps has used over 40%. This is weird because I've only used Maps once this week, and that was for all of 10 minutes.

I really don't wasn't to turn GPS off because I use other apps that are acting normal, only pinging when their supposed to. Should I try clearing data for Maps? Also, I'm using a Droid DNA and my Sense clock widget seems to be refreshing the weather every time I unlock the phone or go back to the home screen whenever I'm away from the launcher for too long. Could this have something to do with the Maps issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I too have been having an issue with Maps draining a massive amount of my battery and I even disabled Google Now but it still does it. I don't launch Maps and it still is the first item on my battery usage history every time. I also quit using Google Latitude to try to keep it from launching itself and running in the background and hogging resources.

Upvote 0
I have to say I use Google Now a decent amount and it is below even chrome on battery usage on my phone. And I have not once had my GPS turn on randomly that I can trace back to maps or now.

The only times I have ever noticed GPS being turned on without my direct input (I only turn it on when I navigate or send a glympse. Then turn it off immediately thereafter.) was by lookout when I was testing it to see how accurate find location was.

That said, I have no idea why maps is popping up so often and apparently without your knowledge. Perhaps there is another app that is using it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones