Maps is constantly running. Is it due to Google Now?Support

1. blahblahyoutoo

blahblahyoutoo Well-Known Member

I've forced stopped it several times only to see it respawn another process. It's keeping the cpu awake and hence chewing up my battery.

My best guess is Google Now is using it.

Advertisement
    :
  2. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

You tried uninstall and reinstall? Worked for me.
  3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Yeah maps runs pretty consistently for me too but it only accounts for about 2% of my battery usage. Maybe go through the Google Now settings and see what you have enabled? I know people were saying "Places" was a battery hog, I've always kept that one unchecked since hearing complaints.
  4. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
  5. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

Google maps pretty much runs constantly in the background and has since forever. It doesn't use a ton of memory or battery so it only bugs me a little.

I think the only way to get it to stop is to disable all the location services and reporting.
  6. blahblahyoutoo

It used 22% of my battery life last charge and kept the CPU awake for over 1h.
  7. Tim K

If you didn't use maps at all I find that number to be high. I checked traffic twice on my phone and while it kept using more processor than needed (17min) - an hour with no maps would seem like a lot.

You need to see which of your apps is accessing location data. Facebook? Weather widget? Even the browser can use location service if you let it.
  8. blahblahyoutoo

nope, i didn't use it at all the last charge.

fb is off, beweather doesn't update unless I open the app (no widget). I'll try turning off browser location service.

I tried to uninstall and re-install the Maps app, but only found the option to 'uninstall updates' which I did and it's helped the issue a little.
    usage went from mid 20's to low teens.
  9. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Any chance you're using an app like foursquare or similar to mark/report your location?
  10. rcozzi

rcozzi Well-Known Member

Maybe your spouse planted a surveillance app. that can hide itself. :rolleyes::D
  11. blahblahyoutoo

i have 4 browsers (chrome, stock?, boat, dolphin) and each was set to allow to report location.
    i just disabled all 4 and did a full charge. will report back tmrw.
  12. Crashless

Crashless New Member

I'm having the same issue on my Sprint variant.

Since upgrading to 4.1 Maps is a HUGE battery hog - far more than before.

When on wifi, it isn't that noticeable, but when on a mobile network I burn through 7-12% an hour (on extended battery), when I used to use about 3-5%.

Something is definitely up.

I've disabled the "Places" option in Google Now as suggested to see if that's the culprit, as it makes logical sense - but turning off Latitude etc. isn't an option because it was fine for me prior to android 4.1.
  13. blahblahyoutoo

I completely disabled Google Now and maps is no longer evening showing up in battery usage unless I actually use it.
  14. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Ive fixed this in either one of two ways.

1. Click on Maps and let it lock on with GPS. Then back out of the app. Done.

2. Uninstall and reinstall maps. When you do, see number 1.

Never had a problem after this. So if you don't want to disable Google Now, try it.
    :)
  15. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

Once all the location tracking/sharing settings are disabled under google map, it shouldn't be big battery drain from what I see. You can still keep location services turned on under android main setting for apps that need location info through data connection. But if there is any apps using the map service in background, that could hit battery badly I guess.
  16. Tim K

You can't stop Google maps, you can only hope to contain it.....