maps vs navi questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. SoCGHOST

SoCGHOST Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I have googled, and searched the forums without finding an answer to what maybe a stupid question. What the heck is the difference between using Maps vs using Navigation. Am I missing something or are both used to get you from point a to point b, and if navi already does that what would maps be used for? Every time I have launched Maps not only is it not helpful to me but it shuts off if I dont touch the screen, unlike Nav. So what am I not understanding. Can someone enlighten me. I want to use my device to the fullest and it seems that Google has an app that will basically do anything you need it to, I'm just looking to get the best out of this awesome phone. If this is posted some where else I appologize.

Advertisement
  2. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

Maps gives you directions, sat pictures, points of interest, traffic, etc. Navigation gives you spoken turn by turn directions from your current location to your destination. I plan my trip on the map screen, and then start navigation to get my turn by turn directions.

That help?

3. mhtrang

mhtrang Well-Known Member

Plus, before the just released update, you couldn't navigate while using your mode of transportation as walking. Maps is good when you don't want to turn on GPS, but still want directions. For instance, if I can figure out where to go and want to save battery, I won't navigate and just let the cell towers find my location, even though it's not as accurate.

4. SoCGHOST

SoCGHOST Member This Topic's Starter

OK so does using maps keep the battery from getting so hot the phone starts to shut off? Thats my biggest complaint with using navigation. Plus how do you get maps to stay on without the screen going to sleep. Is there an option to keep it on?

5. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

I've never had that happen in Navigation. Only way I know of to keep the phone from sleeping is to go to menu->settings->applicaitons->development and check the Stay Awake box. This is supposed to keep the phone awake as long as it is plugged in.