Maps vs. Navigator vs. NavigationGeneral

Last Updated:

1. wifflenipples

wifflenipples Member This Topic's Starter

Maps vs. Navigator vs. Navigation
    I searched threads and didn't find anything that compared the 3 stock options that the 2.1 OTA gave us. So far I have been using Navigation (the blue arrow icon) and i think it works extremely well, it give voice directions while the program runs in the background and your phone is "sleeping" so thats a big plus for me. I didn't see a voice option on Maps, or Navigator but i may be missing something. Navigator looks cool, but doesnt seem to have any bells and whistles that I need. My wife uses Maps and she is happy with what it does. What are your experiences with these 3 options? Which do you prefer and why?

Advertisement
  2. PraiseYevon

PraiseYevon Member

I used Navigator for the first time today and I'm more than pleased. It has voice recognition, implements Google Maps at the same time, and gives me turn-by-turn directions. Just need a car charger!

3. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

4. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

don't they all use navigation as the actual turn by turn direction program, they are just different interfaces to do the same thing

5. SuperStuff

SuperStuff Well-Known Member

I want to know why Navigator as a car dock access point with Navigation button doesn't just open up the new Navigation app we see in 2.1 instead of the old Google Maps Directions.

6. lance-tek

lance-tek Well-Known Member

7. DanMarg

DanMarg Member

I understand the voice continues, but does screen timeout on Navigator? Anyway to keep it on for just that program?

8. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

by default when turn by turn is on mine never goes to sleep.

I did like waze when I was on 1.5. It is more than just turn by turn and directions.

But with 2.1 I stopped using it. Great alternative for those who dont like google nav though.

9. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

by default when turn by turn is on mine never goes to sleep.

I did like waze when I was on 1.5. It is more than just turn by turn and directions.

But with 2.1 I stopped using it. Great alternative for those who dont like google nav though.

10. x531x

x531x Well-Known Member

there's no different between the 3. They all lead you to the same thing! I always use Maps.

11. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

Um, you do realize there is only ONE turn by turn GPS app on our phones right? Navigator is simply an HTC app that offers a pretty interface to many other useful features of the phone. It's designed to be easy to use while driving. Navigation is simply a shortcut into the turn by turn GPS feature of Google maps. And of course maps is the same Google Maps app that we all know and love. You can get to navigation through Google maps by entering an address, getting driving directions, and choosing navigation or navigate, I can't remember which. Either way, Google maps is really the only app that has anything to do with maps or navigation. The rest are just shortcuts.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

12. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member

13. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Member

I use the Navigator widget (map with compass) on my home screen as when I dock my phone on my car mount, I push that widget to bring up all the features I would need while driving. The Navigation widget (the blue triangle) I think is kind of useless scine I can just lauch my voice search widget (voice search from anywhere for that matter) and say "NAVIGATE TO ...(any address)" or even say something less specific like "NAVIGATE TO Soldier Field Chicago" and Google Navigationis automatically launches and the voice starts telling me where to go.

"You have to love how the all aspects of Google's abillity is really showed off by this one app. Sorry Apple, but I think Google has got you beat. lol