• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mark GMail emails as read

PabloEscobar

May 23, 2010
I am wanting to know how once I have read an email on my GMail app, for the email to be marked as read on the GMail server.

What currently happens is whatever emails I read on my phone, are only marked as read on my phone instead of on GMail itself, so when I open up Thunderbird (or GMail on the web), I get a load of emails what are 'new', when infact I have read them on my phone!

I am wanting to know how once I have read an email on my GMail app, for the email to be marked as read on the GMail server.

What currently happens is whatever emails I read on my phone, are only marked as read on my phone instead of on GMail itself, so when I open up Thunderbird (or GMail on the web), I get a load of emails what are 'new', when infact I have read them on my phone!

1. You need tyo make sure that you have your GMail set up to auto-sync.
2. You need to allow a few moments for the Gmail inbox on your phone to be synced with the GMail website.
3. Thunderbird odes not mark emails read on the basis of whether they have been read on the website or not, but on the basis of whether you have downloaded it to Thunderbird or not. Even if you mark an email as read and assign it a label in GMail it will come through as unread in TB.

I just tested this on my phone, website, TB and it works as I said.

P.S. Set up TB for IMAP and it will work fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones