• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

myjourney

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
Hi
Can I ask question , I have been scrolling through the market looking at the free apps and considering downloading some of them, however I keep getting the warning notifications and some of them can be quite scary ie will access phone contact data etc and this puts me right off downloading. Some of the sites are what I would call trusted sites and I already have them on my PC at home.

My friend has an I phone and never gets these warnings and downloads lots of apps, so im sure she thinks my phone is rubbish compared to hers

So is it safe for me to download and why does Apple not provide the same warnings... Thanks

The warnings let you know what sort of permissions the app wants if you choose to install it.

It's a very nice security feature - if you download a game and it requests permissions to access all of your contacts, send SMSes and to make phone calls, there's definitely something dodgy about it. You wouldn't know about it if it didn't prompt for your permission, would you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones