• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Market - missing apps

Deviruchi

Nov 21, 2009
My marketplace is screwed. On the main market screen I see no featured apps, and when I search I am missing a lot of results.
For example I cant find Last.fm or Photoshop apps, and even when scanning their barcodes the search finds nothing. Whats wrong here?

I know there are similar threads out there, but they dont seem to solve my issue.

I am in Beijing, China.
Wierd thing is that I was able to find them a few days ago.

I believe it's down to (a) the locale of your handset and (b) the APN used to connect as to what the Market makes available. Did you change anything in (for example) Settings/Locale & text or Settings/Wireless controls/Mobile network settings just before this developed?

Upvote 0
You can double check by using barcode scanner on this:

chart

That is the barcode for the photoshop app, if the barcode reader can't find that app in the market then it is probably your location that is the problem.

Upvote 0
I did use the Morelocale app to change my locale from English to Danish, but I changed it back again. The point was that I wanted a danish dictionary for sms messages and mail, since I am danish, but my phone is bought in China, and it only has English and Chinese locale. I changed it back because I liked the english menus and stuff better, and instead I will just add danish words to the English dictionary as I use it. (Also I found a danish keyboard and dictionary app which does the job).
I am not sure what an APN is though, but I am connecting through my wireless internet switch in my apartment or at starbucks. Both places my computer is able to access the adobe and last.fm sites. I can confirm that its still not working from my phone after testing with the barcode added by Lekky.

Please elaborate on the APN and Locale subjects, more specifically, what am I supposed to do to access the apps mentioned above?

Upvote 0
Please elaborate on the APN and Locale subjects

APN: the settings for accessing your mobile data network. Doesn't apply if using wi-fi.

Locale: the language and region set in the handset options.

I don't think China is yet on the list of locations where paid apps are available, so this may have some bearing on what you see. However the fact that it used to work then suddenly didn't is mystifying.

Upvote 0
I'm in Canada and I know we don't have paid apps. But there are a few free apps I've looked for and they don't come up in Market either. Not sure why. I've scanned the QR Code with the barcode scanner, still get nothing.

One example is an F1 app. I scan the barcode below and it's not found in the Market:

chart

Upvote 0
I solved the problem.
I dont know what really did the trick, but after updating to Modaco custom rom 2.9 I got Market Enabler working (Market Enabler wasnt working with Modacos 2.8 chinese version, which I was using since my phone is chinese), and so I am able to fake US status and download US and Canadian market apps. Photoshop proved to be one of those.
Thanks for the suggestions, help much appreciated allthough it didnt get me very far. :p

Upvote 0
I'm in the UK, not using paid apps, and I still can't find a lot of apps, they were there before and are gone now! Really annoying! Anyone got a solution?

Same here!
VERY irritating, free apps, paid apps, makes no difference, it all seems very random. I could not find Barcode Scanner, ShopSavvy, App Killer, Layar etc etc... driving me nuts really.

Mark.

Upvote 0
The most recent orange update (Menu>About Phone>build number 2.73.61.66) From what I can figure out has problems with copy written apps, from what I can gather Google has to clear the ROM to allow the copy written apps to be used, once google clears it you should be able to access them. Till then I sugest contacting HTC support, I e-mailed them, still awaiting their reply.

Upvote 0
The most recent orange update (Menu>About Phone>build number 2.73.61.66) From what I can figure out has problems with copy written apps, from what I can gather Google has to clear the ROM to allow the copy written apps to be used, once google clears it you should be able to access them. Till then I sugest contacting HTC support, I e-mailed them, still awaiting their reply.

Hi Andy and Griever,
I have a modaco 3.1 rom, which I cooked about a week ago. I have only had the phone for 10 days.

Griever, Im not sure what you mean, but before I flashed it with modaco, I did clear the phone memory using the utility that comes up when you press power-home to boot.

It seems odd that this happens with as many free apps as paid for ones.

Tx
Mark.

Upvote 0
Hi Andy and Griever,
I have a modaco 3.1 rom, which I cooked about a week ago. I have only had the phone for 10 days.

Griever, Im not sure what you mean, but before I flashed it with modaco, I did clear the phone memory using the utility that comes up when you press power-home to boot.

It seems odd that this happens with as many free apps as paid for ones.

Tx
Mark.

I can't speak for modders, however I know a few of the apps I could access before I updated my Orange ROM(only a few nights ago). I can't access now, various research and mailing a few devs has led me to this conclusion, however it hasn't been confirmed or denied as HTC have not yet responded to my mail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones