• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Market, not connecting at all

chaos32

May 31, 2010
Just rooted, running kaosfroyo v30.

Market has quit working. I cannot connect at all. I can connect to the internet and email. But when i click on market I get an error that says

"a network error has occurred. Retry or cancel and return to the previous screen"

no matter how many times i retry or restart it doesn't work I've even tried re flashing my rom :'(

any ideas?

Stupid market. I flashed a rom, wiped, reflashed the same rom, then flashed a rom that I knew the market worked on... and come to find out, it actually was the MARKETS fault and not the rom I was trying to flash. Thank god I have nothing better to do at 0120 in the morning

LOL

didn't you have to redo all your settings? The first time a flashed a rom my market didn't sync so i had to re download all my apps (at least the ones i didn't have backed up on astro)

Upvote 0
Hi-longtime stock Eris user writing to find out how long does it take to flash a ROM after rooting? It seems posters try ROMS like trying on different shoes. But my original Eris (I'm using a refurbished replacement) became unusable with silent bug after loading the leaked 2.1 OS versions and thought it was time consuming wiping my phone and having to reinstall apps and reset to the way I liked it. Does flashing to a different ROM cause complete wipe needing to reset custom settings and load apps each time? I have fun playing with my phone but I use it all the time for work and it seems rooting becomes a huge black hole of time. Can any of you rooters chime in with thoughts?

Upvote 0
yes it resets everything. back there are backup programs like titanium and astro... also once the rom is installed and to your liking you may perform a "nandroid" backup which saves all your settings apps everything even missed calls and txt messages. if youd like to try a new rom, u can just flash back to ur nandroid and be were u left off.

Upvote 0
Hi-longtime stock Eris user writing to find out how long does it take to flash a ROM after rooting? It seems posters try ROMS like trying on different shoes. But my original Eris (I'm using a refurbished replacement) became unusable with silent bug after loading the leaked 2.1 OS versions and thought it was time consuming wiping my phone and having to reinstall apps and reset to the way I liked it. Does flashing to a different ROM cause complete wipe needing to reset custom settings and load apps each time? I have fun playing with my phone but I use it all the time for work and it seems rooting becomes a huge black hole of time. Can any of you rooters chime in with thoughts?

Flashing a new ROM indeed resets it to an uncustomized state.

Over time, I've probably created hundreds of black holes - I use all 7 home screens, including using apps and bookmarks inside of folders. Ugh!

The good news is that things are getting easier all the time - and I'm getting a little smarter at it too. (I'm only creating red giants or white dwarfs now).

Here's a case in point: Froyo-based ROMs. In Android 2.2, Google has furthered the concept of what it means to be a "cloud phone" - if you turn on an option to do so, you can back up all your "Settings" to the cloud - so that if you get a replacement Android phone with Froyo (or load a "blank" Froyo ROM), the first thing it does is to "sync" all of your apps and Android settings back to the phone, without requiring any user intervention. Power the ROM up, sign in to your Google account, put the phone on the charger & let it sit for 10-15 minutes - and all your apps, settings and bookmarks are restored from the Market.

And if you are using a non-Sense home "Launcher" (e.g. ADW Launcher), you can back up all your home screen layouts and launcher settings to your SD card - just restore them in a couple clicks. Same thing for "CyanogenMod" settings.

It's not completely perfect, but it's a lot better than it was in 2.1 - and it also partially removes the need to screw around with apps2sd. I would estimate that now I am only spending 15-25 minutes of "face time" duplicating the behavior of a prior 2.2 ROM, and perhaps a total of 1 hour elapsed time. It won't restore application settings though - you need to either do that manually, or figure out how to make Ti Backup work for you in that case.

I don't want to over-sell it though; it's still nowhere near something like a "1 click full restore".

eu1

Upvote 0
Flashing a new ROM indeed resets it to an uncustomized state.

Over time, I've probably created hundreds of black holes - I use all 7 home screens, including using apps and bookmarks inside of folders. Ugh!

The good news is that things are getting easier all the time - and I'm getting a little smarter at it too. (I'm only creating red giants or white dwarfs now).

Here's a case in point: Froyo-based ROMs. In Android 2.2, Google has furthered the concept of what it means to be a "cloud phone" - if you turn on an option to do so, you can back up all your "Settings" to the cloud - so that if you get a replacement Android phone with Froyo (or load a "blank" Froyo ROM), the first thing it does is to "sync" all of your apps and Android settings back to the phone, without requiring any user intervention. Power the ROM up, sign in to your Google account, put the phone on the charger & let it sit for 10-15 minutes - and all your apps, settings and bookmarks are restored from the Market.

And if you are using a non-Sense home "Launcher" (e.g. ADW Launcher), you can back up all your home screen layouts and launcher settings to your SD card - just restore them in a couple clicks. Same thing for "CyanogenMod" settings.

It's not completely perfect, but it's a lot better than it was in 2.1 - and it also partially removes the need to screw around with apps2sd. I would estimate that now I am only spending 15-25 minutes of "face time" duplicating the behavior of a prior 2.2 ROM, and perhaps a total of 1 hour elapsed time. It won't restore application settings though - you need to either do that manually, or figure out how to make Ti Backup work for you in that case.

I don't want to over-sell it though; it's still nowhere near something like a "1 click full restore".

eu1

none of my apps synced...i had to redownload them all :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones