• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Market, phone not asking me to re-auth after enabilng 2-Step Verification?

awhite91

Feb 12, 2011
Whitney, Texas
Today I switched my Google account over to two-step verification and proceeded to go about resetting all my Google stuff with application-specific passwords (btw you don't realize how much you rely on Google until you have to go and re-enter passwords for everything lol). The GMail app alerted me that it couldn't connect as I expected and I of course gave it its new app-specific password which made it happy. I also set up the Google Authenticator app successfully. The only deal is no other app including the Market or the phone itself have asked for the new account details even after rebooting. I can download/update apps from the Market with no problem so I'm not really sure that I should be concerned at all. I was just expecting all of these apps needing new codes again and since I didn't get it I'm puzzled.

Greetings awhite91,

The thing about 2-step is it's a way to give apps that require access to your account, a means of accessing the info without having your actual log in info.

The market and other apps that don't require you to input your Google info, are not going to ask for it. The market is interwoven with your device. It has all the info it needs when you set your phone up. It wouldn't ask for you to input your Google log in credentials.

If you look at the permissions a app uses, it will state that it needs to be allowed to make internet connections and such. It doesn't need your Google info for that, just your permission to connect to the internet. You give this permission when you download the app.

2-step is not a firewall, which would block all connections that you have not approved.

Like I said, it is away to allow a app to request your Google information, without having your actual Google log in info.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones