Market question.Support

Last Updated:

1. Insistent

Insistent Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, i just bough a LG shine plus for 50$ with a 3 years contract (Telus canada) and i dont have any data plan, but i am using WIFI at home, i was wondering if enabling background data will cost something? Because i need it to use android market.

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. 350Rocket

350Rocket Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure as long as you leave mobile internet turned off, and only turn on wifi, there should be no problem. Mine has background data enabled, but I only turn on 3g or wifi as needed, and on days where I never enable 3g I can check my data usage online and there is no usage, so no data leakage.

3. Insistent

Insistent Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, ive downloaded stuff from wifi, should be fine. Thank you.

4. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

I do not have a monthly data plan, but a pay-per-use data plan which I do not intend to use (same plan for over 4 years with my treo). I turned off the mobile network. However about 3 days into my ownership, the data network got turned on without my knowledge. I racked up 17 mb and about $26 dollars in charges in less than a day! I'm not sure whether it was one of the apps (maybe Yahoo Mail) turned it on or I accidently toggled the mobile network from the pull down screen (very easy to do). Telus was nice enough to cancel the charges and they put a block of the data usage on their end. I notice from time to time the mobile network still gets accidently toggled (fat fingers and the pulldown screen?). But the data is blocked by Telus. If I really needed to use it, I could call Telus to turn it on in about 15 minutes. I have been very happy with wifi performance (at home, work, mall and other hotspots), but the wifi in Rogers Arena during a Canucks game seemed a bit slow.

5. 350Rocket

350Rocket Well-Known Member

I forgot anytime the phone gets shut down or reboots for some reason mobile internet appears to be turned back on.