1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Market Update Apps on SD Card

Last Updated:

1. Digital

Digital Member This Topic's Starter

I've noticed this since I've updated to Froyo (many weeks ago) but I don't know if it's related to Froyo or just some random coincidence. Whenever I update an app that's stored on my SD card I get the "Failed to install application" error. It's easy to fix just move the app to the phone, but it's kind of a pain in the backside. Is there an easier fix? Or should I just keep all apps on the phone and use the SD for photos and music or something?

I have a non-rooted HTC Incredible.

Advertisement
  2. kicko

kicko Active Member

same here, it drives me crazy sometimes when you have 3-5 updates and 4 of them fail. I have read about fixing it but deleting a specific folder but it seems to be no use unless your rooted.
    \
    I just unmount the SD card then do the installs and mount SD again.

3. topcorner

topcorner Well-Known Member

I had the same problem but can offer no solution for this. I don't think it's froyo. I suspect it's something to do with Apps2SD.
    I actually came across this problem last week and I have 2.1 rooted. I had the problem when I restored my phone and tried to update all the apps and got the "failed to install" with 2 apps.
    In the end I went to restore my phone again, which bizarrely worked and I didn't get the error again.

4. topcorner

Which folder is this?

5. kicko

kicko Active Member

Really? i have had all apps that install by default to the SD card fail since 2.2. apps2sd might make the issue worse but is certainly not the cause.

I believe the folder was .android_secure but you canot delete unless rooted, nor do i even know if that has worked 100%. I read it from a post on android central as a "fix"

6. topcorner

I believe Apps2Sd is built in on 2.2 froyo so might be related.

Ok thanks for the tip. I'll bear this in mind if it happens again.

7. Averix

Averix Member

Just mount the SD card on a computer and delete that folder. It fixed my install/update issue. I did have to re-download the apps that were installed to the card though. Angry Birds was one. Luckily, the data for the game save is still intact.

Digital likes this.
  8. Digital

Digital Member This Topic's Starter

It's been a few weeks now and this also fixed my issue. I've downloaded a few updates to apps that usually fail and it worked like it should. Awesome!

I did switch angry birds and a few other apps I cared about to the phone before deleting the folder and I didn't have to download them. The rest I did have to re-download, but it was a nice review/audit. "Yeah I never open that, I don't need it."

9. facemymusic

facemymusic Member

I've had this issue for a few months now, but only since I've gotten my refurbished Evo (the flash on my original broke). I think since I kept the same SD card, multiple files were left in the .android_secure folder & they just conflicted with each other.

I just cut & pasted it to my PC in case I ever needed it again. But I probably won't since all my issues are now fixed!

Yay, I can finally play angry birds!! :D