Marketplace/updates w/out data planSupport

Last Updated:

1. Donald

Donald New Member This Topic's Starter

Jan 9, 2010

Bit of a long story here but I'll try to just hit the imporant points.

I have my wife's old G1 (she just upgraded to a mytouch 3g).

I did some research online and decided to go without a data plan despite tMobile's claiming the phone will not work at all without one. Phone and SMS do work fine, web works fine with wifi, which constitute 99% of what I need and the rest doesn't justify $25/mo for my personal needs.

My two issues/questions:

1) Will the G1 update via wifi?

2) Marketplace is prompting me for a gmail user/pass. I don't want to use my wife's old account. I have read up and it appears possible to change the gmail account without a factory reset via settings/application/gmail/clear user data. From what I've read, a full factory reset would make the wifi unusable until the phone is registered, so I'd have to temporarily sign up for a data plan to get it to work. It sounds like this other method will leave wifi intact and allow me to set up a new account without the data plan. Does anyone forsee any issues resulting from using this method?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

2. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    1) no, but you can install any updates manually (it's a pretty simple process)
    2)instead of getting a data plan: just put in your wifes sim card (you say she has a mytouch) and use her data plan to register your gmail account.
    after that you can give her sim card back and proceed to use the phone withought a data plan