• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Marshmallow now on Verizon!

I am getting a mixed reading on the success of MM with the Galaxy S5.

My wife's S5 is still on 4.4.4 and the only reason it is, is that I have DATA and WiFi both turned OFF, and it is using MacroDroid to ensure that they both stay off at all times.

she only uses it for games and as a telephone, she does not ever use or need the Internet with it. She has a great little tablet that works super on the Internet, so I feel that is why she is not grousing at me that here phone "is not good"....

I had been thinking to let it go with the MM upgrade, but I am still concerned with the occasional bad results that we are reading about here.
My guess is most who have issues need to clear the cache partition after updating (doing so beforehand wouldn't hurt either).
The next group would probably need to do a factory reset.Knowing virtually everyone abhors the thought,once done,it's worth the effort.
Afterwards,those still having issues likely haven't ran w/the new OS long enough to see how well things are going.

The rest?
Perhaps some apps they install don't play as nice as they did on Lollipop,IDK,but,I'm willing to bet most would benefit from updating.
However,in your better half's scenario,there really is no need to update,I'd just stay put. If you're really needing to itch that scratch,I'd make sure the games she uses on her phone play nice with Marshmallow before pulling the trigger....................

Reactions: DanDroide
Upvote 0
Follow-up: My WiFi calling failed me, when I really needed it this morning. This is after my spending multiple hours on the phone with tech. support at Verizon, factory rest, etc. etc. following the MM update this last Friday and the weekend. What a freakn' disaster.

With Verizon tech. support today, the blame was placed on Samsung for releasing MM. They didn't take any blame at all for any possible Verizon modifications to this O.S. Since I have a warranty on the phone, their solution was overnighting a replacement phone to me, and to use Kies as a back-up which would make my configuring the new phone a piece of cake.

Aaaahhhhhh (he shrieks).......!!

Upvote 0
Kies as a back-up which would make my configuring the new phone a piece of cake.

ummmm, not quite, we will as we all know, loose all of the data.....

and unless you use a launcher similar to Nova Prime, you will loose your folders and wallpapers setups.
burnt once, but not twice anymore.

and then we get to experience the lost hours of going thru and reprogramming all of the options for each of the 319 apps we have installed! argh!!!

Upvote 0
Kies as a back-up which would make my configuring the new phone a piece of cake.

ummmm, not quite, we will as we all know, loose all of the data.....

and unless you use a launcher similar to Nova Prime, you will loose your folders and wallpapers setups.
burnt once, but not twice anymore.

and then we get to experience the lost hours of going thru and reprogramming all of the options for each of the 319 apps we have installed! argh!!!

That's what I told the dude, and why I'm not about to do it. I'll probably live with this defective phone &/or O.S. for the short term.

Upvote 0
Follow-up: My WiFi calling failed me, when I really needed it this morning. This is after my spending multiple hours on the phone with tech. support at Verizon, factory rest, etc. etc. following the MM update this last Friday and the weekend. What a freakn' disaster.

With Verizon tech. support today, the blame was placed on Samsung for releasing MM. They didn't take any blame at all for any possible Verizon modifications to this O.S. Since I have a warranty on the phone, their solution was overnighting a replacement phone to me, and to use Kies as a back-up which would make my configuring the new phone a piece of cake.

Aaaahhhhhh (he shrieks).......!!

Hehe, yeah I feel ya.

However, Titanium backup would let you transfer most if not all your data BUT only if you are willing to/can root the phone. This is the one thing that I envy the iPhone crowd for TBH.

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
I received a massive 356 part update today (24 June) from Verizon. I had already updated to Marshmallow a week or so ago with the rest of you.

I don't know of the changes or bug fixes but I hope it fixes my doze WiFi problem. Will keep you updated if I notice anything.

EDIT: Verizon reference to this update - http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-note-4-update/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I received a massive 356 part update today (24 June) from Verizon. I had already updated to Marshmallow a week or so ago with the rest of you.

I don't know of the changes or bug fixes but I hope it fixes my doze WiFi problem. Will keep you updated if I notice anything.

EDIT: Verizon reference to this update - http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-note-4-update/

I just received the notice for this.

What? is this another fiasco like when Lollipop was first introduced?
The first version ruined the S5, and I totally skipped letting that one install.
then I read that a "fix" had been released by VZW and I let that go thru.
that finished version seemed to be okay.

Now, I am using a Note 4, and two weeks ago let it go to MM, and so far, that has been painless for me.

but, this time I read how long it was going to take to perform this step.....
and I am reluctant to do anything until I hear what other folks are doing.

However, did anyone else note, there is no ability to avoid this at all?
You can only delay it for 24 hours, and then 24 hours again....

and, if it goes like it did on my S5, after you refuse about 3 or 4 times, VZW tells you to go to hell and installs it anyway, even if you don't have enough battery power to get it done.

uncool :mad:

Upvote 0
Received the replacement phone today. It came bare-bones with no battery, battery cover or stylus. They refused to send me a different color (white instaed of black), and I spent hours getting it configured, using Smart Switch/Android File Transfer. Now I am about 90% there. There were some "hiccups" like no sound when I first played music (briefly, I freaked out). This was fixed by a re-boot. Still have to clean up some of my files, like some doubling of contacts, and configure about 4 Bluetooth devices, including my cars.

If there are remaining issues, other than minor ones, I will throw in the towel, and move on to a different phone and carrier.

Upvote 0
Received the replacement phone today. It came bare-bones with no battery, battery cover or stylus. They refused to send me a different color (white instaed of black), and I spent hours getting it configured, using Smart Switch/Android File Transfer. Now I am about 90% there. There were some "hiccups" like no sound when I first played music (briefly, I freaked out). This was fixed by a re-boot. Still have to clean up some of my files, like some doubling of contacts, and configure about 4 Bluetooth devices, including my cars.

If there are remaining issues, other than minor ones, I will throw in the towel, and move on to a different phone and carrier.

Cautiously optimistic so far. Even if it's perfect sailing from now on, the hoops I had to jump through after the MM update were hardly worth my time and effort.

Upvote 0
you are not making me feel very good about letting update #2 go thru on MM.

it keeps asking me what to do?
at least with the 1st MM upgrade, I could turn that OFF forever... not now, I can delay it for 23 hours.

now I wish to hell I had left it off the phone.
MM is a mess, a horrible screwed up mess.

and with the pitiful battery life of MM, you better damn well have it fully charged and leave it on the charger when it does upgrade.

Upvote 0
I have the notification of a system update which I assume is MM since I have 5.1.1 now. Is there any way to "opt out" and stop the update? All I was able to do is postpone it for several hours and from what it said, it will go ahead and update at the time I chose. I am very busy with work right now and can't afford to deal with the potential problems.

Any help will be appreciated!

Upvote 0
I have the notification of a system update which I assume is MM since I have 5.1.1 now. Is there any way to "opt out" and stop the update? All I was able to do is postpone it for several hours and from what it said, it will go ahead and update at the time I chose. I am very busy with work right now and can't afford to deal with the potential problems.

Any help will be appreciated!

You can postpone it but apparently can't opt out, from what I understand, unless you're rooted??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"You can postpone it but apparently can't opt out"

My mistake, I read that as an "either/or" statement. I was hoping you meant that you could keep postponing the upgrade and you'd just have to put up with the popup every 24 hours.

Thanks much! Hopefully someone may have an alternate suggestion.
Yeah,I have an idea that I just found from another site:
Freeze/disable the app responsible for updates with Package Disabler Pro:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpremium&hl=en

Root is not required,nor does this app trip Knox or void any warranties.
Simply disable the updater app (& any other undesired bloat) DO NOT DELETE,ONLY DISABLE.

The app gives color-coded guidelines on what's safe to disable.
Any ?'s on other apps,feel free to give me a holla & I'll share what I have disabled on my T-Mobile Note4. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Yeah,I have an idea that I just found from another site:
Freeze/disable the app responsible for updates with Package Disabler Pro:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpremium&hl=en

Root is not required,nor does this app trip Knox or void any warranties.
Simply disable the updater app (& any other undesired bloat) DO NOT DELETE,ONLY DISABLE.

The app gives color-coded guidelines on what's safe to disable.
Any ?'s on other apps,feel free to give me a holla & I'll share what I have disabled on my T-Mobile Note4. :thumbsupdroid:

Sounds like a plan, I'll check it out, thanks! Do you happen to know which app is the "updater app" in a Verizon phone?

Upvote 0
On my T-Mobile Note 4, there's two system apps that are called "Software Update".
You may not see, or, have access to this app, VZW is notorious for hiding/disabling access to system apps that are otherwise accessible to the rest of the free world.
The Package Disabler Pro app may very well let you "see" these apps if they are indeed MIA.
Wish I knew with 100% certainty, but, I've never had the pleasure of using VZW.
Even if you cannot prevent the update, this app is worth its weight in gold......

Reactions: Musky
Upvote 0
Ok, I will preface this post with the disclaimer that I have no idea if this would work as I thought about it too late for my own purposes, but: Wouldn't turning off automatic updates and deleting the phone's cache partition (where I assume the update is downloaded to) be enough to prevent the update?

Of course I have an unlocked international Note 4 so it could be that the disable updates is not available on carrier phones, but deleting the cache may be worth a try to hold off the update until you have more time to work through the "new features".

Regards,
Eric.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Ok, I will preface this post with the disclaimer that I have no idea if this would work as I thought about it too late for my own purposes, but: Wouldn't turning off automatic updates and deleting the phone's cache partition (where I assume the update is downloaded to) be enough to prevent the update?

Of course I have an unlocked international Note 4 so it could be that the disable updates is not available on carrier phones, but deleting the cache may be worth a try to hold off the update until you have more time to work through the "new features".

Regards,
Eric.

I'm on Verizon, and even with Automatic Updates turned OFF, VZW forces it thru anyway.
I have screamed at them, I forced a supervisor at VZW to conference me in to Samsung, and was told there is no way possible to prevent the upgrade from going thru. if you don't want it, change carriers, they don't care.

I was quite happy with 4.4.4 as it does every I want, very fast, slim, and it is not broken.
good battery life, best of all the crap that has come since then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones