• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mass Storage Mode without Root?

jeebob

Jul 8, 2012
Hi Guys,

I got my S4 Mini at the start of the year, and I do love the phone! however, the one niggling thing I do get is the lack of storage space.

I have a 32gb SD card in there, and use it for the bulk storage, but now and then, the internal memory fills up to a large amount.

I want to connect the phone to the PC and browse its internal and external cards as a USB Mass Storage device, so I can run things like duplicate file checkers etc and can just manually shuffle files around. MTP is pretty useless at this, so I would prefer the old school method back. I see there are ways to do this, but I want to keep the phones warranty, and Samsung confirmed as soon as its rooted, its done and the warranty is gone, regardless of what happens. I suspect they have a flash counter on their to see that it has been rooted then unrooted....

Is there a way to complete these without rooting the device?

Sorry there is no other way
Hi Guys,

I got my S4 Mini at the start of the year, and I do love the phone! however, the one niggling thing I do get is the lack of storage space.

I have a 32gb SD card in there, and use it for the bulk storage, but now and then, the internal memory fills up to a large amount.

I want to connect the phone to the PC and browse its internal and external cards as a USB Mass Storage device, so I can run things like duplicate file checkers etc and can just manually shuffle files around. MTP is pretty useless at this, so I would prefer the old school method back. I see there are ways to do this, but I want to keep the phones warranty, and Samsung confirmed as soon as its rooted, its done and the warranty is gone, regardless of what happens. I suspect they have a flash counter on their to see that it has been rooted then unrooted....

Is there a way to complete these without rooting the device?

But if u root ur device, its pretty good for mass storage and also have other benefits and u can also unroot ur device easily

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones