• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mass USB device - playing movies

Case

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire, UK
Hi guys

I recently got a WD TV Live (HD media player that plugs into your TV) and I was thinking of using my Desire as the mass USB storage device that plugs into it.

So getting a new 32GB SD Card, throwing a couple of BluRay movies on there and plugging my Desire in and playing the films.

Can anyone see any issues with this? The phone is getting charged while it's plugged into the WD TV Live so battery life isn't a problem.

Cheers :)

Cheers for the replies guys.

Ah right, so the class thing might be an issue.

I have actually got a 1tb external drive as well which I will be using at home but I was thinking about the times when I want to take a movie round to a mates or something (everyone is getting these media players now!).

It was either get a USB stick or an SD card for my phone. I thought I could increase my phone memory while I'm at it!

So can I get a 16gb one that would do the job? Or is a USB stick the best bet?

There is a class 10 one here: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...d-16GB-SDHC-Class-10-Memory-Card/Product.html

Would that be OK?

Upvote 0
Cheers for the replies guys.

Ah right, so the class thing might be an issue.

I have actually got a 1tb external drive as well which I will be using at home but I was thinking about the times when I want to take a movie round to a mates or something (everyone is getting these media players now!).

It was either get a USB stick or an SD card for my phone. I thought I could increase my phone memory while I'm at it!

So can I get a 16gb one that would do the job? Or is a USB stick the best bet?

There is a class 10 one here: Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card - Electronics at Play.com (UK)

Would that be OK?

That's SD, not Micro SD...

I'm not 100% sure what the highest MicroSD class available is...

It may be easier to get a 16GB class 2/4 for your phone and a 16GB USB stick for movies. A USB stick is easier to carry around than a USB-MicroUSB cable :p

Reactions: Case
Upvote 0
I am new to Sony Ericsson x8. Need some urgent nelp regarding playing of videos.
How can i play movies on x8? I copied some avi and mp4 files thru SE PC Companion software to sdcard location for videos. File is present, but video player says it cant be run.
my x8 has 2gb card. movie file is about 650mb. card has free space of about 500mb.
Should i replace my 2GB SD card with say 4GB or higher? OR is it problem with video player software that comes preloaded in my new x8?
Pls help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones