Master of Orion 2

Last Updated: 2012-11-18 10:42:43
  1. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Can someone *PLEASE* create a way to run this game? It's like 15 years old at this point (so from a hardware standpoint it would take nothing for our phones to run it). It's even been re-released, with the origional, for like $6 w/o DRM.

Master of Orion, Outcast Now Available on GOG - Techweet

Given that it's been made legally available, and on the cheap, now seems like an awfully good time to get this going on Android.

Anyone?

Advertisement
  2. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

I've never played MOO2 - I tried MOO3 and thought it was awful, but then so did MOO2 veterans. It being available doesn't mean you can easily copy it on to another platform.

However...

I'm thinking of doing Android development when my current contract expires in a couple of months and a space 4X game is something I was thinking about today. I like open-ended games which involve creativity and this is an interesting direction. It's rather full on for my first Android app but I'm giving it serious consideration.

Edit: Looking at the screenshots on GOG (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_1_2), some of the art/UI is very similar to what I have in mind, I'm a bit freaked out. Most is nothing like what I have in mind but the bits that overlap are unsettlingly similar. Hmm.
  3. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Check out this game, It has a demo and is similar but its real time....spent quite a bit of time on the demo even.

http://androidforums.com/android-games/13817-space-stg-real-time-strategy.html
  4. aloysiuscarl

aloysiuscarl New Member

Greatest strategy game of all time. I love MOO 2 and still play it. I've tried Galactic Civ II and it just doesn't quite have the same feel for me. It is generally the first game I install on every computer I have gotten since 5 of them, partly because it is so easy to setup to play without inserting the CD.
  5. RyanB

RyanB Guest

No doubt, was playing it tonight. It's why I'm hoping for a port, or emulator, or SOMETHING. I'd gladly pay for it too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. necator

necator New Member

With the app aDosbox works MOO2 on android. I test it with the Iconia A500.
  7. cyone

cyone New Member

Could someone (necator?) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give a rough tutorial how to get it working?
    Whatever i try, aDosBox just returns "Illegal command: win" when i try to run the setup.exe
  8. vorgen

vorgen New Member

Well, You mustn't use setup.exe as it is Windows version of the MOO2. Use install.exe and proceed with installation. After that go to MPS\Orion2 directory and write orion2. That's all.

Of course You may need to set some emulator options to get it working. I use DosBox Turbo as it is fast :) (worth few $ or zlotys in my case).

Let me know if someone still have problems with it. I managed to get it working with nice speed and good sound.

Personally I think Master of Orion 2 is one of the best TBS games of all time. So, when I managed to get it working on my smartphone my face was like that :D .