• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Master Volume Control Gone?

romoen

Lurker
Nov 20, 2012
Model Number: Droid Bionic
System Version: 6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US

With the newest update to Android, I've somehow lost the ability to use the buttons on the side of the phone to control the master volume. Was this by design? Or is there a way to adjust settings so that when I turn down the phone volume, it turns down everything and not just ringer volume?

I'm not interested in downloading an app if at all possible as I'm looking to have the side-buttons return to master volume control.

(Similar Thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/627943-master-volume.html with no answers.)

First off welcome to the forums :)

I am assuming when you hit the volume up and down it isn't doing anything?

If so i would definitely suggest to factory reset the device, as this can solve these bugs.

This will delete all of your data so be wary...

If this is not the case, then automatically your volume will control stuff, like if you are in a game or playing music it will automatically choose to increase or decrease media volume. If you are in a call it will automatically increase/decrease the persons' volume talking. If you are doing nothing...it will change ringer/notification volume.

EDIT: Thread moved to Bionic Forums!

Upvote 0
Model Number: Droid Bionic
System Version: 6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US

With the newest update to Android, I've somehow lost the ability to use the buttons on the side of the phone to control the master volume. Was this by design? Or is there a way to adjust settings so that when I turn down the phone volume, it turns down everything and not just ringer volume?

I'm not interested in downloading an app if at all possible as I'm looking to have the side-buttons return to master volume control.

(Similar Thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/627943-master-volume.html with no answers.)

With the update to ICS we lost the master volume control. If the phone is idle and you turn the volume down all the way it will only silence the phone and not media or notifications. Also if you are listening to music the volume buttons only control the music volume. so on and so on.

Upvote 0

I know you don;t want to hear this ... but here goes ...

I strongly recommend that everyone do a Factory data Reset after installing ICS. It will not solve this issue. It will lay a great foundation for the future.

I use ... Volume Control + Pro ... that has a widget for easily controlling all the volume controls on my Bionic.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones