"matrix" screen problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. Mr.DNA

Mr.DNA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I mentioned this issue before in other threads, but it has gotten so bad I am starting a new one. My wife has a problem on her phone in which random green pixels start appearing until the screen ends up looking like the matrix. It seems to go away temporarily after the phone has had a chance to sit doing nothing for a while, however task killers or cache clearers seem to have no immediate effect.

Also, the lines formed by the pixels are always vertical, meaning when the phone is rotated the lines rotate as well (see pics - ).

Any ideas what is going on here, or more importantly how to correct it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

That sounds symptomatic of an overheating GPU / memory to me (speaking as a PC engineer rather than a phone engineer here). I'd say "warranty replacement".

3. Mr.DNA

The unfortunate circumstances are that we purchased the phones through an ebay seller in the USA last summer and are now living and using the phones in Egypt.

I have a feeling warranties are going to be tricky.

4. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Ugh. Sorry dude.

Should still have a manufacturer's warranty with Samsung though? Try dealing directly with them?

5. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Is that Galaxo? Can you try it on stock?

It may be a symptom of moving the fb out of linux memory. It was a memory tweak that was added to galaxo.

6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

"fb"?

7. UKLooney

UKLooney Well-Known Member

8. Mr.DNA

The phone is currently running JB2 firmware with the Drakaz 4.6.1 recovery. She thinks that stray pixels started appearing here and there some time ago, but that the lines didnt really show up until after the upgrade from IK4 to JB2.

Her phone has also had some problems in the past with the camera freezing up when trying to take Hi-res video. I had attributed this to an an app she had installed, FXcamera, but maybe it was related to whatever issue she is having now.

9. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

It looks to me that the "pixels" are actually touchscreen contact points. The little normally invisible sensors in the glass that register touch.

10. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

what happens when you run a 3d intensive game like armadillo roll or speedforge?

11. Mr.DNA

In the time and use it took to install the speedforge demo, no green pixels popped up on screen. I played speedforge for nearly 10 minutes and not a single pixel popped up (sidenote - i had tried the game way way back on an earlier firmware and the 3d has gotten a lot better. this was very smooth and not choppy). Immediately upon exiting the game the home screen was draped in the green pixel lines. Jumping back to speedforge and the pixels are gone.

I have attached two more pictures to show that the lines to not always extend across the entire screen. Sometimes they only go part way down or up, and the length of each line seems to be independent of the others (meaning some may be longer than others).

Also, the lines/pixels do seem to react to touch contact with the screen. A touch sometimes makes them jump to a new location; a drag can cause them to jump, appear, disappear all over.

Attached Files:

12. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

doesnt seem like a problem with the graphics chip if the phone can blay 3dgames without any screen issues

13. nex1685

nex1685 Member

i have same problem went back tp 1.6.3.4 and its ok only have problem with nightly build and only when it gets hot

14. Mr.DNA

Agreed, it does seem to be temperature related. This problem is on my wife's phone and it has been getting progressively worse since my last posts back in March. I put 1.6.3.4 (up from jb6) onto her phone over the weekend. Lines are still there, but have not yet played with it enough to know if it is any better or worse than before.

nex1685 likes this.
  15. nex1685

nex1685 Member

took my phone into bell for warranty they are going to send it in and it takes up to 4 weeks they gave me a loaner. if it were and iphone apple would replace it for free right a way