Maximum SD Memory?Support

Last Updated:

1. TheSippler

TheSippler Member This Topic's Starter

What is the confirmed maximum SD card capacity for the phone?

Also, does anyone else's 16GB version show up around 14GB available to use/

Advertisement
  2. ting

ting Member

Hi Sippler,

I also have a 16GB SD card that shows 14.41 GB available to use, which is very odd. Also, I have heard that manufacturers are looking at creating a 32GB card soon.

3. hanhav

hanhav Member

Joking right? There is 32gb micro sdhc cards already, been on the market for a while.

4. ting

ting Member

Oh wow, yeah your right, I think I was getting my information from Yahoo Answers, which is a less than reputable source!

5. TheSippler

TheSippler Member This Topic's Starter

So if I buy a 32GB card, or even a 16GB external SD card, can I expect it to work in my phone?

6. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Yep, I have a 32GB card in my phone right now. So nice to finally be able to have my full music collection on my phone :) Be warned though they cost a lot more per unit storage compared to a 16GB card, so unless you're like me and find a compelling reason to have a 32GB card you'll definitely get better value for money with a 16GB card.

7. Darkplek

Darkplek Well-Known Member

Yeah, 32GB should work, but I haven't tested it personally.

If it's anything like a hard drive, which I'm 95% sure it is, then it's all the in the way they define a gigabyte...

It's not right in terms of how a computer will define it, but manufacturers define 1 GB as 1000000000 bytes instead of 1073741824 bytes.

So 16GB to them means 14.90 GB in reality. Not sure where the other .49 GB went if it shows as 14.41... but possibly into formatting or something.

Happens with all pen drives and hard drives, etc. Take a look next time if you weren't aware of it, but hard drives are always much smaller than they logically should be.

So I guess 32GB would actually show up around the 29GB mark.

Robbery and lies if you ask me :p but there you go eh..

8. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Exactly right, it does indeed show that much storage because of marketing lies...

9. hogofddyn_

hogofddyn_ Well-Known Member

The free space on the SD card shows as 14gb because 2gb is reserved for apps and the OS.

10. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

That.

You guys ever used a laptop before? Similar situation. Part of the memory is hidden for system purposes.

11. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

I have a 32 gig card and works perfect. It shows available 29.21 gig or something around there.

12. Darkplek

Darkplek Well-Known Member

Not that. (Unless I'm missing something about android, but i doubt it)

The 2GB comes off the 8 or 16GB internal memory. It does not come off any external card as the OS is entirely held on the internal memory.

It's like i said in my previous post; it's down to the manufacturer's concept of 1GB, not down to the system. The extra ~2GB doesn't physically exist on the card.

13. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

According to some manufacturers 16 Giga bytes is 16 Billion bytes (10^6), but in computer terms a Kilo Byte is 1024 Bytes , not 1000 Bytes, similarly a Mega Byte is 1024 KiloBytes and a Gigabyte is 1024 MegaBytes.

To convert 16Billion bytes : 16 x 1000^3 to actual Gigabytes, you have to devide by 1024 ^3, then you get 14.9GBs.

The FAT (File allocation table) also takes up some space around 4 bytes per every 4KB block if I'm not mistaken. Given everything you should see something slightly less than 14.9 GBs. On mine it reads 14.83GB, which sounds right.

EDIT : didnt see Darkplek had already given the same answer.. oh well.. ;)

14. ayongkot

ayongkot Well-Known Member

yeah, that's right. i have 32 GB on my galaxy now which i purchased at expansys italy for 129 euro. it works perfectly. previously i have 16 GB with my omnia II but i must have the 32 GB because of the 720p video recording of the galaxy which needed more memory. like all of the posts here, my 32 GB has only around 30 GB of available memory and i am not surprised because of the system requirements. thanks for the detailed explanation above.

15. hogofddyn_

hogofddyn_ Well-Known Member

Ah, I thought the TC was talking about the 16gb internal memory (also an SD card).

16. pm5544

pm5544 Well-Known Member

Mines shows as 14.83 for a 16GB card :)