• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Maxium headset volume is insufficient - wish to override limitations and increase maximum

My headset is an Altec MZX206 which has only 16 ohm impedance. Nonetheless, the sound through my headset is not always sufficient (if I'm listening to an audiobook while walking in the city). I would like a way to increase the 3.5 mm jack volume beyond it's supposed maximum. I've had mp3 players before which had volume limiters which could be overridden when necessary. Is there such a thing for Android on the U8150?

I have just worked through this problem so here's a solution for anyone who finds this page in future.

There are two approaches to increase the volume: either modify the AudioFilter.csv file on the phone, which contains the volume limitations; or upgrade the OS to Gingerman (the open source mod of Gingerbread) which has a lovely DSP app built in, which can be used to make the same edits graphically.

Both options require rooting the phone first.

I didn't quite make it to fixing the headphone level with the csv file, although I got the speaker under its control -- at that point I switched to installing Gingerman, which I think is the better solution. My phone now has full volume so I can hear my music on the train.

(The important thing to note is that when rooting, use rageagainstthecage but realise that it is nondeterministic, it relies on exploiting a race condition so might only work one in ten attempts. Just keep trying until it gets you in.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones