• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maxx vs Droid X battery

D

Deleted User

I wonder what will be better?
I've never been a fan of fixed batteries, but would accept the 3300 maxx version like my wife's phone.
I have the Droid X with the stock battery which is I think 1450 AND a extended battery of about 1800. I have about 3250 worth of capacity.

The HDMaxx is 3300 so battery capacity is a wash.
Pro:
Maxx: S4 chip=more efficient
Maxx: Amoled=little more efficient less pure white
Con:
Maxx: 4.7 Screen = more power than 4.3"
Maxx: 4G LTE

I'm guessing it will be about the same as my DX with two batteries.
What do you think?

I wonder what will be better?
I've never been a fan of fixed batteries, but would accept the 3300 maxx version like my wife's phone.
I have the Droid X with the stock battery which is I think 1450 AND a extended battery of about 1800. I have about 3250 worth of capacity.

The HDMaxx is 3300 so battery capacity is a wash.
Pro:
Maxx: S4 chip=more efficient
Maxx: Amoled=little more efficient less pure white
Con:
Maxx: 4.7 Screen = more power than 4.3"
Maxx: 4G LTE

I'm guessing it will be about the same as my DX with two batteries.
What do you think?

Yup, and the upside is you don't have to power down, switch the batteries and reboot to make use of all the battery power available.

Does anyone have any idea if the Razr HD and the Maxx HD have 2nd generation LTE radios inside, which are supposed to be more power efficient than the 1st generation LTE radios?

I'm 99.99% sure I'm looking at the Maxx HD as the replacement for my trusty Droid X. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Never heard of 1st and 2nd Gen LTE.
The Maxx is LTE, but it is not integrated into the chip. It is a stand alone.
The HD has the S4 chip (I believe) which has LTE built into the main processor which saves power and makes the phones smaller.
However, don't let the chip take all the credit. The Kernals that control the chip and the antenna makes a huge difference between phones.
Look at the S3. It is known by some to have poor reception while other phones with the same S4 chip have great reception. Moto IS known for their great radios, hope it's the same on this phone.
Granted its apples and oranges, but my wifes Original Razr far exceeded the reception of my S3 on 3G and 4G in the same location and tower at the same time. My S3 went back for a refund.
Dim screen, poor radio, no BT and AUX at the same time. Other than that, the S3 was a great phone.

Reactions: dirkbonn
Upvote 0
Yup, and the upside is you don't have to power down, switch the batteries and reboot to make use of all the battery power available.
:smokingsomb:
No spare battery cover to carry either as both batteries have separate covers to accommodate the fatter battery. Not much difference, but just a tad. I could Force the standard cover over the high capacity batery, but since I use GPS in the hot car window, I didn't want it to expand when hot and damage the screen.

DX: 127.5 x 65.5 x 9.9 mm @ 155grams
Anyone seen demensions of the HD yet?

Upvote 0
No spare battery cover to carry either as both batteries have separate covers to accommodate the fatter battery. Not much difference, but just a tad. I could Force the standard cover over the high capacity batery, but since I use GPS in the hot car window, I didn't want it to expand when hot and damage the screen.

DX: 127.5 x 65.5 x 9.9 mm @ 155grams
Anyone seen demensions of the HD yet?

Maxx HD: 67.9mm x 131.9mm x 9.3mm
Not much larger than the DX, actually slighly thinner.

Here the link to lots of info;

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/motorola-droid-meet-the-family/

I solved the battery cover situation by buying 2 extended batteries.

I'm 99.99% sure that the Maxx HD is my next smartphone. Gonna be hard to give up my trusty Droid X though. It's been by far the best phone I've ever had. Got ot on launch day back in 2010 and it's still going strong over 2 years later.

Upvote 0
Maxx HD: 67.9mm x 131.9mm x 9.3mm
Not much larger than the DX, actually slighly thinner.

Here the link to lots of info;

Motorola's new Droid range: Meet the Family -- Engadget

I solved the battery cover situation by buying 2 extended batteries.

I'm 99.99% sure that the Maxx HD is my next smartphone. Gonna be hard to give up my trusty Droid X though. It's been by far the best phone I've ever had. Got ot on launch day back in 2010 and it's still going strong over 2 years later.

Not sure what happened to my DX.
It was a good phone at 1st, less the weak speaker phone.
Then, as the updates progressed, it started to suck.
2 updates ago, started doing random resets.
They got progressively more frequent.
Last update, lost root.
Got root back, but past few weeks...
I just randomly powers itself on for about 2 seconds and turns off.
There is some app I think that checks for wakelocks or something. I've doing the 14-16 hours days and haven't had time to research yet.

It has been a durable phone with MANY drops and hardly any scratches. The extended battery alone typically lasts all day as a moderate user.
The spare battery was great in the long day situations and traveling without power.
I'll miss it, but the frequent restarts and freezing is often enough now to deem it unreliable.
Well, guess I won't miss it, but will keep it none the less as a backup if any of our three phones in the family go bad or get lost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones