• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maybe the end of useful mobile phones

I don't have an I anything because I like devices that use memory cards. I frequently take my PDF crochet patterns with me when I travel and like storing them on SD card for access on my phone or tablet. I also have a lot of tutorial videos I wouldn't want taking up space on my device storage. To me it's stupid to not have an SD slot in a device for people like me. Mary

Upvote 0
I don't have an I anything because I like devices that use memory cards. I frequently take my PDF crochet patterns with me when I travel and like storing them on SD card for access on my phone or tablet. I also have a lot of tutorial videos I wouldn't want taking up space on my device storage. To me it's stupid to not have an SD slot in a device for people like me. Mary

I kind of felt the same way Mary. But another member hear pointed out that you can use an OTG card reader and it will basically do the same thing. Granted, it doesn't seem as handy as having an on board card slot, but it's not the end of the world either. Plus, with 32, 64 and 128gb phone storage, we will probably have tons of usable space. I was going to look at the HTC M9, until the OTG card reader was suggested. Now i am even more excited to get the S6.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I kind of felt the same way Mary. But another member hear pointed out that you can use an OTG card reader and it will basically do the same thing. Granted, it doesn't seem as handy as having an on board card slot, but it's not the end of the world either. Plus, with 32, 64 and 128gb phone storage, we will probably have tons of usable space. I was going to look at the HTC M9, until the OTG card reader was suggested. Now i am even more excited to get the S6.

Its not as simple as that though purely from a pricing point of view. For example its alot cheaper to buy say a 32GB S6 and then buy an external 32GB samsung SD card to go with it, than it is to buy an S6 64GB outright! Using an OTG card reader for me personally is just a pain. I think leaving the SD card slot out is a really bad idea. They are only doing it to make the phone look nicer and slightly slimmer lets face it. And on the battery front, life is already pretty good, but you always run out of charge at some point especially if you are out and about without any charging access, its really handy to be able to whack in a backup battery. I think functions/options are more important than looks/design.

Reactions: jackdubl
Upvote 0
I was firmly in the SD card camp until a couple of weeks ago. Which was when I got a new phone with 64GB built in. And I'm a convert. No more worrying about running out of space installing apps... And I can still carry around my daily fix of podcasts that I used to sync to my SD card.

If I go on a photography frenzy I can copy the data off onto my USB stick...

Given the choice I'd still marginally prefer the SD card option... But its no longer the deal breaker it used to be. Given the choice of a 16gb device with an SD card slot or a 64 gig one with no slot I'll now pick the 64gb one every time

Upvote 0
OK, the following is going to be highly offensive to some, maybe even most everyone - it's a retake on the famous Hitler video where they subtitle what he's going berserk over. These have always been allowed here, despite the language.

This one, the language is way over the top in profanity and ought not be watched by anyone, anywhere.

It's not embedded, it's up to you to click the link or not, and you've been warned not to.

http://captiongenerator.com/31863/Hitler-react-to-Galaxy-S6EDGE

Stop laughing and carry on.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the SD card even if it purely for the fact that if all my photos are stored on the SD card and my phone have a fit , I just take out my SD Card and no photos are lost.
Not happy about about no removable battery or lack of waterproofing.
These feel like backward steps to me.
It might work for iPhone as if you want to use iPhones you have no choice, I can get a different Android phone!
Not Happy Samsung :( :(

Pep

Upvote 0
well i have a note 4 and i don't like what i am seeing regarding to the S6 year it's a pretty device... the bottom looks WAYY too much like an iphone besides that i have 6k in pictures and videos dating back to 2010 than i transferred over and over to my current sdcard which i have 64gb.. was already looking to getting a 128gb one just to stay ahead for the note 5 but i def. don't like the route samsung took..hopefully they will make a exception for the note series as it's their top tier phone.. one can only hope!

Upvote 0
The hitler video was gold.

I thought no SD card and no removable battery would be a deal-breaker for me, then I bought a Nexus. I have hardly missed either of them.

I have my photos backed up to dropbox automatically. I don't lose anything when I wipe my device from time to time. I've rarely been out and about and had my phone go dead. I usually have access to a charger, bring an external, or put the phone away and interact with the meaty fleshbags we call humans.

I think the S6 looks pretty nice, but i agree that from the bottom it looks like an iPhone.

Upvote 0
I've been living without an SD slot for 2 years now, using OTG (flash drives or microSD readers) for files I don't need to keep on the device at all times. It's possible, and of course you need to back up SD cards just as much as you need to back up the device (cards can fail, or the whole device can get lost including the card).

That said, I have missed the convenience of expandable storage. 32GB isn't enough for me to do without having to make decisions about what I keep on-device and shuffling stuff around, and conversely there's no need at all for ultra-fast storage for music, photos, maps or backups. So while an SD slot isn't essential for me it is a significant advantage.

Reactions: Joshuah22a
Upvote 0
I guess that Samsung have calculated that the new designs will appeal to a lot of people, and that the number who will be sufficiently put off by the loss of these features to go elsewhere will be much smaller. Remember that we here are not representative of the average buyers.

Whether they are right, time will tell.

Reactions: kdude63 and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones