• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mb or gb

tweeby92

Lurker
Oct 25, 2013
i have a samsung galaxy s. I just signed up wi th a plan that has 200 talk minutes and unlimited text and 200mb. i was wanting to know if i use the internet alot reading email nad facebooking and other things on the internet is 200 mb gonna be enough for amonth or do i need to change my plan to the 2gb.

hi and welcome to AF...

if you Facebook.. aint no way 200mb will be enough.

i think the average facebook user... using wireless data.. would kill 200mb in 1 averge day! all those pics.. and videos.

then you add in all the other normal web usage. and 2GB will feel cramped too.

unless you are around wifi most all the time! 200mb will be painful

Upvote 0
You need to check what the charges are for exceeding the 200MB. If they're not too bad, you could try going a week or two to see what your usage is like before deciding.

I suspect you're probably going to need a bit more than 200MB :(

Personally, even though I'm a very low data user - I probably just about scrape under the 200MB mark some months - I have an infinite interweb plan just in case I need more. Which sometimes, I do.

Upvote 0
It depends entirely on what you want to do with your internet. for chatting and such, it should be fine. But if you plan on using instagram and the like services for sharing photos, or watching YouTube, 200MB won't probably even last a week.

Ditto this.
I do not use WiFi at all for personal reasons irrelevant to this thread.

My S5's current data usage for day 29 of my 30 day cycle which expires tomorrow is 0.664 gB or 664 MegaBytes.

I read newspapers, search for the odd item on Google, look up a favorite restaurant near my current location, check the WeatherChannel several times a day....

so, as you can see, it is totally determined by your user habits.

FWIW, I have a Galaxy S Fascinate still in use that has been registered with Verizon for 4+ years. Great little phone to get your feet wet with in the smartphone arena.

Verizon supplies an app to measure you data useage.... there are Android apps that can monitor that for you instantly. Might be wize to install one of those and keep tabs on your own Surfing Habits.... If you see that 150 Mbytes has slipped by already, then change your data plan, or curtail your phone fun. ;)
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns Data ON

Upvote 0
I'm on straight talk and they give me 3GB high speed then cut to 64kbps. I use up 3GB in 10 days. I'm purchasing a hot spot that gives me 2GB a month and option to purchase extra data at 15¢ a MB. I SURF AND STREAM SLOT. How much should I purchase??

That's actually extremely expensive for wireless data, streaming a 6MB song will cost you 90¢. In fact more than what some international data roaming might be. Perhaps see about upgrading your data plan, for more inclusive data. If you used 3GB in 10 days, likely need 9-10GB for a month. Or see about storing some media content locally, and only stream on wireless data when you really have to, keep to WiFi otherwise. If your data is throttled to 64kbps, because you went over your allowance, you're not going to be streaming much of anything.

BTW this is an old thread that's been bumped, the OP hasn't been back in two years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones