• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

McAfee's Antivirus & Security app is SCARY!

I have a Samsung S5 w/android OS. Installed McAfee Antivirus & Security app and AT FIRST really thought it was a good investment [even for free].

I use the "fingerprint" to get into my phone, even when it goes to sleep, have to wake it w/the swiping of the fingerprint.

Sometimes it will "take" a few tries to unlock it but no problem, works fine.
HOWEVER . . . since getting McAfee Antivirus & Security app, if the "swiping" doesn't work after say 3-4 tries [could have something on the finger, so what!] it will actually take a "silent" photo of me with the "capturecam" and send it my email.

Maybe "when" the phone is stolen, that would be a great feature being the person couldn't even get in w/o the swipe. But I found it invasive taking photo of ME!

So, I uninstalled it because I couldn't find a way to disable the capturecam. Is there anyone out there who knows how to DISABLE THE CAPTURECAM? I would like to get the program back IF I can disable it.

I would also like to know HOW the camera can take a photo w/o it being activated in the first place. Can I turn off that capability to "activate" before I even click the camera app? Scary!

When I uninstalled it, they of course asked why and I told them why RE: the invasiveness of the capturecam.

If someone knows how to use the program ONLY IF the capturecam is disabled, I'll be indebted to you and thank you in advance.

I mean, if you must know, I was on the potty w/the phone when the photo was taken. Can't see anything, but good grief. Well, the Angry Birds shower curtain was a nice touch.
:D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

Thanks to you all though, you're always helpful,

Ellen

Reactions: niffcreature
I don't know how to disable.

If you step back, I think you might reconsider the feature.

I think you initially reacted to the feature negatively because you didn't expect it. But the feature makes sense to catch an intruder into your phone as you said. If McAfee wanted to spy on you, they'd do it more discretely than emailing you! And McaFee is a big company, they have lots to lose and nothing to gain by spying on you...

Maybe someone else can answer more directly.

Upvote 0
I don't know how to disable.

If you step back, I think you might reconsider the feature.

I think you initially reacted to the feature negatively because you didn't expect it. But the feature makes sense to catch an intruder into your phone as you said. If McAfee wanted to spy on you, they'd do it more discretely than emailing you! And McaFee is a big company, they have lots to lose and nothing to gain by spying on you...

Maybe someone else can answer more directly.

Pete,
I really appreciate your reply. And I know all about McAfee, have been using it since the early 90's [ya know, the previous millennium LOL!].
What bothers me is, an app that can access the camera w/o me even knowing it is doing that. How does it do that in the first place??
But still, would love to have the app w/o the capturecam working behind my back, so to speak.

Thanks again,

Ellen

Upvote 0
Why do you think that an app wouldn't be able to use the camera without showing you it is doing it?

When you use the camera to take pictures you are using an app which uses to camera hardware both to show you a preview (to allow composition) and to capture a picture. It's not unique, you can install alternative camera apps if you prefer. It's just an app. Now imagine another camera app which doesn't show a preview but just captures whatever is in front of the lens. Then imagine that app is running in the background, and you have this app.

Put it another way, would you be surprised to learn that a webcam on your computer can record an image without you knowing? So why would a phone be different?

The bottom line is that there's no way you can have this function for its intended (security) purpose but not have it at other times. If you have access to "app ops" permissions management you may be able to disable the app's ability to use the camera (4.3 or later, most apps to use it require root). Or you could stick a small bit of post-it over the lens, which is a traditional solution for people who don't trust their laptop's webcam ;)

Or use a different security app which doesn't have the function.

Reactions: bowzerbird
Upvote 0
If you have access to "app ops" permissions management you may be able to disable the app's ability to use the camera (4.3 or later, most apps to use it require root). Or you could stick a small bit of post-it over the lens, which is a traditional solution for people who don't trust their laptop's webcam ;)

[Just removed most of the quote to reduce having to re-read again]
Can you give me specific instructions on how to do this?
I know some comments regarding McAfee were :mad: :( But daz wud I gots. If I can just change that one feature & not contend with covering the camera [disable taking "clandestine" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: photos].

It still bothers me that an app can secretly utilize the camera. What about other apps. Ya know, the ones we CANNOT trust!!

Thanks Hadron for your advice though. I'll give a "thanks" after i send this.

Ellen

Upvote 0
It depends on what Android version you are running.

There are a number of apps in the Play Store which give access to the "App Ops" feature which was added in 4.3 (but hidden). Some of them, such as this one or this one, claim they can work without root in 4.3 or 4.4. However, in 4.4.2 or later you do need root for any of these to work.

To use them (if they work on your device) you just open the app ops app, select the app you want to restrict then disable the permissions you want to restrict.

I've not tested any of these apps because I'm rooted and running a custom ROM which has this stuff built in to it. I do use it on my device, mainly to disable location permissions in apps which I don't think need to know my location (though according to the app most of these have never actually asked for the location anyway, even though in principle they could).

As for other apps being able to use the camera, check the app's permissions when you install it. If it doesn't have camera permissions then it can't use the camera. If it wants camera permissions and you can't see any reason it should need them to do its job, then be cautious about installing. But note that there are apps which might legitimately need camera permissions even without being photo apps, e.g. flashlights need them in order to use the camera's flash.

Upvote 0
I use permission manager from info life
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.permission
It is an "app ops" app which allows you to block certain permissions, rooted it not. Unfortunately camera is NOT one of the permissions it deals with. (It has contacts, messaging, phone, location and a lot More, but not camera). Since all app ops apps are accessing the same hidden system code, I don't think any app ops apps will work for this particular purpose.

A firewall app can be useful to prevent private/personal data (including pictures) from escaping your phone via internet connection. That's great for apps that don't have a critical purpose for using internet...for example apps that only include internet permission so the they can load advertisements. I think this particular app (McAfee) may need to access the internet to do it's core function. Then again, given the well known company, I would not worry about this particular app. And getting an email photo of someone else trying to access your phone (not only when it's stolen, but also when you set it down for awhile somewhere you THINK is safe from prying eyes) actually is a handy feature.

Upvote 0
I had that app as well, and also uninstalled it because it would randomly do things to my phone that will drain battery like crazy. I would get a message from clean master, another app on my phone, that says that McAfee is using 98% CPU, and before I knew it, my battery would be at 30%.

I like the idea of this app, but until they fix out some of the problems, I will probably just stay to using a regular password and using Google's Android Device Manager.

Upvote 0
I can block camera permissions on my phone using the built-in app ops app.

Are you saying you can block the camera permissions FROM the McAfee app or somewhere under the system<>device menu?
How do I block it from the McAfee app or the device menu?

You guys have been SOOOO helpful :adore: but guess I'm not as computer literate:stupido: as I thought. :willy:

I need some :coffee:

I NEVER should have seen the additional emoticonzzzz,

I'm a sucker,
Ellen :rolleyes:
W/O these forums, how would we learn?!!? Information IZ knowledge

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Is it a feature of McAfree? The idea is it tries to capture a picture of the thief and/or location and sends it to you, and so it needs to be ready to capture at all times, because you never know when the phone might be stolen. It's like a an intruder alarm, can get false alarms, and it might take pictures of you at inopportune moments, like on the toilet, if it's falsely tripped.

Upvote 0
If you are running 4.4.2 you'd need root to use app ops. It basically means hacking the phone software to get administrator access. Can have implications for warranty, and recent Samsungs' "knox" security software complicates it further. If you want to find out about that the best bet is to visit the S5 section of AF, and especially the S5 All Things Root subforum.

Upvote 0
I guess the need for root to run app ops is a 4.4 thing then.

I'm running 4.3 with Infolife "permission manager" and that app works fine and has never requested or been granted root access (based on review of su logs). Here is the app description:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.permission
The app description says root not required, but it also mentions 4.3.
I guess Hadron is correct again.

Upvote 0
If you are running 4.4.2 you'd need root to use app ops. It basically means hacking the phone software to get administrator access. Can have implications for warranty, and recent Samsungs' "knox" security software complicates it further. If you want to find out about that the best bet is to visit the S5 section of AF, and especially the S5 All Things Root subforum.

Thanks Hadron, I'll try that, but not being great at coding, kinda scared to get into the OS code to change things. May end up leaving "well enough alone" but will look into it to see if it's something I want to attempt. :afraid: Am "slightly" a coward. But a smart one.

Ellen

Upvote 0

Hey, great link which in turn kinda lead me all over the place [i.e. other sites for the root]
HOWEVER::::: Since I have the SM-G900v [Verizon] no root available. Funny how they "discussed" the tight lip tude of VZN & AT&T. They have their OS really locked down!!! Folks haven't penetrated it yet. Some have even switched providers cuzz they couldn't get rooted. When they get a root for the G900v, if someone could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Been w/vsn since 1995 [ OH! my age is showing :rolleyes: :smokingsomb: :rofl: :willy:] So don't wanna switch. And just got the telly a bit over a month ago and signed a 2 yr. contract. $$$$ Talks and ya know da rest! VSN has been good to me, esp. when I was late w/da bill. And good with advice. Got the telly at Costco BTW, great deal too.

Ellen

Upvote 0
Got a few more questions:
1. Regarding, Towelroot, all the "how to's" videos say the phone's kernel has to be prior to June 3rd and mine is "through July 17th. Not > June 3rd.
2. I have the S5, SM-G900v w/4.4.2 kitkat [Verizon]

The towelroot.com site, before I actually can go to it, gives warnings from good ol' McAfee Site Advisor, that it's dangerous, only from the PC, not the phone.

Should I download it & install the towelroot anyway? Could any harm come to it and if so what harm?
From the how to videos, they all recommend getting a "root checker" from the play store and then suggest "super SU" as the app to use to change permissions.

Hope someone can help me with this. Don't want to damage the phone. Really love it and have gotten used to "needing" it if ya all know what I mean!! :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Ellen

Upvote 0
Got a few more questions:
1. Regarding, Towelroot, all the "how to's" videos say the phone's kernel has to be prior to June 3rd and mine is "through July 17th. Not > June 3rd.
2. I have the S5, SM-G900v w/4.4.2 kitkat [Verizon]

The towelroot.com site, before I actually can go to it, gives warnings from good ol' McAfee Site Advisor, that it's dangerous, only from the PC, not the phone.

Should I download it & install the towelroot anyway?

I don't have an S5 and I've never used Towelroot, but I'd say if in any doubt don't do it. McAfee might be flagging it because rooting does use security exploits to perform what it does.

Could any harm come to it and if so what harm?
From the how to videos, they all recommend getting a "root checker" from the play store and then suggest "super SU" as the app to use to change permissions.

Hope someone can help me with this. Don't want to damage the phone. Really love it and have gotten used to "needing" it if ya all know what I mean!! :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Ellen

If it's a Samsung S5, rooting voids the warranty. And yes it can do harm, if it doesn't work it can damage the phone's software, rendering it dead and bricked. Plus an expensive repair bill from Samsung to put it right, if they can.

You might want to have a read of our Samsung S5, All Things Root forum...
S5 - All Things Root - Android Forums

BTW I have rooted and customised my own phone, but it's an Oppo, where the manufacturer provides full support for rooting on their own forums, is completely safe, fully reversible, and they don't void the warranty.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones