• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Means to force automount of SD card ONLY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acslam

Lurker
Jun 9, 2010
I tried on incredible forum and got someone asking if I've tried the obvious. PPCgeeks and xdadev havn't had any replies yet, and google searches only return me to my own threads! So....I'm trying my luck with you guys.

I've got an incredible, and was running the stock 2.1, rooted, and I had the phone set to automount the storage as a disk drive whenever connected to USB. Due to a bug in 2.1, whenever you set it up to mount automatically like this, ONLY the SD card was seen as a drive, and the phone storage portion was not available. You could make them both available, but not automatically.

This was PERFECT for me, because I have a car stereo that accepts USB disk drives, and all my music was on the SD card. The one limitation of the stereo is that it only reads the first available partition. Nothing I can do to change it. So, with that setup, it mounted only the SD, the stereo saw only the SD, and I was in music heaven.

So I got virtuous 3.01 loaded on there, and I love froyo.....except....they fixed the mounting bug, and now the phone properly presents BOTH the SD card and "phone storage" when it's plugged into USB. And of course, phone storage is the first presented partition. End result is my car stereo now CANNOT see ANY music stored on the phone. Worse yet, since it takes the phone some time to do this, the stereo doesn't always recognize that a usb drive is even plugged in, where the timing was absolutely perfect before and it picked it up every time.

This seems like it should be extremely simple, like there should be some setting in the phone to mount only one single partition when plugged into a usb port. But for some reason, after days of searching, I can't find this anywhere - everyone always has the opposite problem and wants to make it mount everything.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a setting (most preferable - since I know it worked under 2.1, I know the phone must be capable of this at the OS layer), an app, or SOMETHING, that just straight up automounts ONLY the SD card when plugged into USB?

Under 2.1, with the "bug", it worked FLAWLESSLY. Every time I got into the car, plugged it in, and bang, music. I don't wanna give up froyo because of this, but it's pretty frustrating. I hope maybe someone can show me what I've missed!

Well, I gave that a try and while it worked on the computer, the stereo for some reason still can't find anything. It seems that it takes to long to kick in, and even if I mess with the stereo a bit to make it "re-read", i still can't get anything from the SD card. Thanks for the info though, I'm glad that someones out there trying to help!

Upvote 0
This might be a stupid question, but is it possible that this is something that can be built in at the ROM level? Im guessing whatever it was in 2.1 that blocked the "phone storage" was something that could be replicated...

Maybe make it a part of the virtuous buddy application? So close to perfect, the only two things I need now are this mass storage "switch" and good bluetooth, and this rom would be it for me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones