• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Media and SD card Q's.

DroidPete

Jun 11, 2010
Hi all,

Got my HTC Desire a day or two ago - and as my first smartphone purchase... I'm v. impressed! :D

I have a few questions that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to (as I see on this forum a lot: it would be great if someone compiled a definitive guide to all HTC Desire/Droid questions!)

1) Album Artwork - how do you add artwork to the many Gb's of music that's now on my phone artwork-less?
I primarily use iTunes to build my music library on the PC, the music in the library (non-iTunes store downloads) get their album art from iTunes anyway (i.e. right click -> Get Album Artwork). After using iTunes Sync software to sync iTunes library to my HTC Desire, no artwork (other than Amazon mp3 downloads) is displayed. Maybe iTunes sync isn't the best solution to getting music over in the first place?

2) Media player - anyone recommend a great alternative to the default player?

3) SD card - any advice for which to get?
I am struggling to work out which to invest in - I've heard some bad experiences of microSD cards failing etc. which is making me wary - do I go expensive (32Gb) and risk losing so much data if it is a "fail card", or find they are much cheaper within the year? Or do I get a class 6 lower size card (i.e. 8Gb)? Does class matter once the data is on?

4) Mounting SD Card - do you all transfer files from PC to SD card via the USB cable and mounting, or removing the SD card and plugging it in the PC?
I presume the former - I only ask because my last phone (Nokia) had it's SD card removed each time to transfer files, though it was accessible from the outside of the phone... :p

So many questions, yes. :p Anyone with any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

the class usually (but not necessarily) makes a huge difference. although it is much quicker to load things onto/off the card, there is also the speed of access while on phone. There was a huge difference between the class 2 supplied and the 8gb class 6 I bought. I think the price of larger cards will drop dramatically soon enough. the 8gb class 6 i got was around

Reactions: DroidPete
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones