Media App

Last Updated:

1. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 19, 2010
    I have all (almost all) of my movies ripped to Divx/Xvid as .avi files.

What player is best suited to playing these? I tried the stock players & they didn't work. will Doubletwist play them? I really don't want to convert them over again.

Also, coming from the iPhone, I loved the way it synched my podcasts - I see that people rally like Isyncr. Is that the best app to use?

At this point, until I re-think my home media integration solution, I want to stay with iTunes.

2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    You can try RockPlayer. There's a free version on the Marketplace, and if it works for you you can go with the paid one to remove the watermark.

It sucks to have to go with a paid player in your situation but the few bucks beats re-ripping everything. In the future if you go with different codecs and containers you can remove your dependence on a non-free player and just use the stock player.

As far as syncing... can't help you there, as I am from the file-copy school of thought regarding getting stuff onto my device. :)
  3. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010

Double twist will work for you, i've tried it and it gets the job done. However, I prefer to use Rock player free.

I found the rock player to be a tad bit faster/responsive. I also like how it remembers where I left off so I can go back a day later and start right back up and not hunt to find the correct spot.

For syncing podcasts:
    I think double twist does this... but I don't listen to podcasts too much so I can't verify it personally. Looking at it now though.. it does have a "podcast" button and it says:
    Use doubleTwist on your Mac or PC to search, subsrcibe, and sync podcasts to your phone.

Might also try "Listen" from Google on the app store for your podcasts. Have heard about it, but again, I don't use podcasts. However, with Listen it looks like you can download on the fly so you may not need to worry about syncing at all.