• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Media folder, the HTC clock widget alarms, and the Marketplace

Ok, I think HTC's clock widget looks great, but I couldn't have been more unhappy with the choice it left me of just 5 very rude alarm tones, and no option to go and browse my storage for mp3s. So, in the course of looking to remedy this, someone told me to set up this file structure on my SD card:
sdcard/media/audio/
ringtones notifications alarms
and then I would have to copy my files from my music folder into say /alarms. Well, here is the problem - it leaves you with duplicate mp3s taking up space on your SD card! I tried moving shortcuts to these folders instead, but found that Android doesn't see them - well, how's that for wasteful?

Next, I went to the Markeplace and took a look at one of the top-rated alarm apps, Alarm Clock PlusV2. I was about to install it, when I saw the following access warnings:
Network Communication
Phone Calls
System Tools.
I'm thinking well of course almost any app needs access to system files, and they will all use the network to try and foist their updates on you when they eventually go adware-supported, but why in hell would an alarm clock app need to know anything about my phone calls? I won't be installing that one until I understand that one.

Your comments on any of the above are appreciated.

sta7ic said:
so that when someone calls you it shuts the app off and doesnt just sit there.

Well, I suppose that could happen during your wakeup routine, so guess that resolves one of the issues.

But I have that same issue with the need to store whole duplicates of my files on the SD card, after loading all of my music to the main storage. Why should this be a necessity, and what can be done about it if it isn't (short of installing more apps which would have to be used just for setting your alarms)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones