Media Player Apps

Last Updated:

1. Tristor

Tristor Member This Topic's Starter

I've seen several threads on the site regarding media players, but it seems most people are concentrating solely on music. I'm personally more interested in video. I'd love to be able to stuff a few videos on my SD card and watch them during flights, and since the OMAP3 has hardware acceleration for h264, this should be easy.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Container support for AVI, Matroska, and MP4

Video codec support for h264, 3gp, and xvid/divx

Audio codec support for mp3, ac3, aac

The above doesn't seem too complex, especially considering my Archos 605 Wifi can do all of the above, and so can the Archos 5 Tablet (which I don't have). I've got a Droid, overclocked, so it should have the power to decode any of the above formats no problem, at near DVD res.

Thoughts? Suggestions? It seems like most of the apps available now are wrappers for the default codecs and are heavily ad-ridden (i.e. just a vector get show you ads), and it's nigh impossible to sort through all the cruft on the market.

Advertisement
  2. weihl165

weihl165 Well-Known Member

Check out either cinema or video player. Not sure about the droid but the eris cant play avi files

3. JeffMull

JeffMull Member

I downloaded Cinema for my Moto Droid and it works fine.
    You have to mount your Droid and then I created a folder called video.
    I copied the video file into that video folder.

I happened to have an instructional video in M4v format and Cinema didn't find it. I renamed the extension to mp4 and Cinema then found and played the video.

Cinema is free.

Jeff

4. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Only ones that can play AVI (AFIK) are YXFLASH (kind of expenseive) and a beta chinese player (need to figure out what buttons do what because it's all in Chinese.) I have tried both and YMMV depending on bit rate and other factors...

5. sipart

sipart Well-Known Member

I presume you already have an android device so this may be no use....but the Samsung i5700 plays divx out the box.

Cheers