• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Media Scanning Foreverrrrrrrrr

Puddin422

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
Wow, when I typed the thread title, the suggested threads already existing are pretty much all Galaxy S phones. :(

Anybody else having issues with media scanning taking half an hour or longer, and essentially locking you out of music, pictures, and camera function???

No, I can't get 4g at my home. I can't even get to stay connected in Brandon. I was on Lumsden near the south mall entrance and couldn't get it. :(

I have about 4gb used. Still have 11.50 free. This is what happened earlier today. I went to Settings - SD Card. I clicked Unmount. I removed the card to look at it (I forgot what size and class it was and wanted to verify). Once I put it back in, media scanning started and took less than a minute!

To test it again, I shut my phone off a little while later and turned it back on. Same thing. Maybe one minute to scan.

Upvote 0
This didn't last long, nor did it work again for me today. Had my phone randomly shut itself off, and when it rebooted, it was another 30 min scan. Pretty irritating when you're trying to use bluetooth audio for a long drive and it skips and freezes in the middle of songs because media scanning is making everything lag!!

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem: "media scanning...." stays in the notification bar forever! Well, for an hour or more, anyway. I have only loaded 10 short mp3 files in a "ringtones" folder, so I cannot imagine that is the problem. Reading this thread, it appears that no one knows why this happens, and that only two of us in the entire world are having this problem. Anyone have any suggestions to fix the problem?

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem: "media scanning...." stays in the notification bar forever! Well, for an hour or more, anyway. I have only loaded 10 short mp3 files in a "ringtones" folder, so I cannot imagine that is the problem. Reading this thread, it appears that no one knows why this happens, and that only two of us in the entire world are having this problem. Anyone have any suggestions to fix the problem?

I have same problem, in fact my phone getting too hot, its really problem, I am encountered once I deleted files in SD Card

Upvote 0
I have the same issue with some custom roms, but some how i decided to flased another rom and that fixed the issue. But when i went back to the first rom that was causing problems it did not change at all, i was having the same issues.

im not a pro but i think i has todo with some scripts??
That last rom that i had flashed i have no problem since then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones