Media scanning taking forever!Support

Last Updated: 2012-02-08 08:39:55
  1. Jimmykimchi

Jimmykimchi Well-Known Member

I have a 16gb sd card for my samsung vibrant, after i unplug my phone from my computer, i swear to god it takes like 10-20 minutes for it to finish . Does this happen to anyone else? is there a fix for this ?

Advertisement
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Less than 30 seconds for me. What all do u have on your sd card? Also what class?
  3. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

I heard someone else complain it takes 9 mins to scan their 16gb card. That sucks, maybe a faster speed rating sd card would help? I dunno.
  4. Graylander

Graylander Active Member

I have a 32gb class 2 card, and yes, it takes about 9 minutes for me...I don't like it, but I'm adjusting to it.
    I use btunes and it lets me listen to music while it's still scanning. I only use it for music so it's tolerable.
  5. Vibrant

Vibrant New Member

When I start up my Vibrant it takes about 4 minutes to scan media. I was told by a T-Mobile employee that the larger sd card you have the longer it takes for the scan to be completed. I have a 16gb.
  6. SamsungVibrant

would a faster rated sd card speed things up?
  7. duc916

duc916 Well-Known Member

My 16GB card takes about 10 sec to scan. Its about half full (just movies, no music). I formatted it with the phone. Did you guys format using the phone? It should be FAT32.
  8. SamsungVibrant

whats the speed rating of your card?
  9. maverick777

maverick777 Well-Known Member

I think the quantity of files matters quite a bit. Mine takes at least 5-10 minutes to complete on a 16gb class 2. I have 1600+ songs, 600+ ebooks, and 20 or so videos.

Not to mention a few hundred wallpapers and icons.
  10. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

Takes 2-3 minutes for mine which is a 16GB class 4 and has 4.5G of music on it. Start up is pretty fast. Scans for maybe 20 seconds at the most.
  11. SamsungVibrant

how much is a 32gb class 10, I can't find one anywhere online. I'm sure it will cost more, but I figure I'm only buying this once, so might as well get a faster one. I hate waiting, even if it is only for write speeds.
  12. elgibby

elgibby Well-Known Member

The 32gb microSDs are pretty new, it'll take some time for the faster cards to filter out and for the prices to come down. Supposedly Micro Center has its own branded 32 but I couldn't find one. Ended up with a 16gb Class 2, which has worked out OK; I've got 2gb free. Most of it is music plus Avatar and a bunch of photos.

Scan time on startup is annoying but really pretty quick, less that 2 mins (although I haven't timed it; I will next time).
  13. elgibby

elgibby Well-Known Member

Yep, my card is a 16gb microSDHC, Class 2.
    Total time from pushing the power button to end of media scan was 3:33.
  14. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Mine is probably fast cause all I have is about 30 pictures, a few wallpapers, about 6 downloaded skins and a ringtone.
  15. Jimmykimchi

Mine's a 16 gig, HC . i have about like 9gigs of music and another 2-3 gigs of pictures. takes sometimes 10-30 minutes to scan ): It's soo long!
  16. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

What class is it? I'll guess a 2.
  17. BossDj

BossDj Well-Known Member

rooted users, you can disable the media scanning with Startup Manager
  18. Jimmykimchi

How do you find the class ??
  19. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

20. Jimmykimchi

Mine's a class 4 x)
  21. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

Whats the fastest class the phone supports?
  22. jree

jree Well-Known Member

I don't count boot up I count as soon as the screen loads and the first media scanner starts. But even from boot up it doesn't take 3 minutes and I have atleast 4 full movies, a poop load of pictures, a couple of full albums, and some hd movies I shot from the phone.
  23. forddna

forddna Well-Known Member

Epic user here. I am having the same issue with mine, and when I started a new thread, it showed me this thread...so here I am..

I'm still using my factory 16g Class 2 card. I don't have any movies, and I have about 30-50 songs. But I do have several hundred pics. I just looked and i have 11.50gb available still. But this media scanning taking eons is new.

Wow, wait, actually, as I typed this, I unmounted my SD from the phone settings, then removed the card to verify it was the 16g. When I put it back in, media scanning began, but it was done in just a few seconds. Maybe that's a fix???
  24. OBXJoe

OBXJoe New Member

I tried unmounting my SD card and putting it back in. That was 45 mins ago. I just got the phone and I did add a lot of pictures but this is getting to be ridiculous.
  25. saminbama

saminbama Active Member

The author of this thread, I believe, is looking for advice. I don't believe he or she is wanting to compare SD scan time. Mine takes 20-30 minutes to scan. This is a new phenomenon.

The author and I would like to know how to remedy it. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!
    Cokonuthead likes this.