• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Media Sharing App

isaemm

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2010
NorCal
Ive been trying to find an app that allows me to acces my home network from my phone without having to install any software on a pc in the network itself. My brother has a galaxy s and he has a app that came on his phone called Allshare. It lets him scan the network and see which computers are on it and pick which files, in this case movies, to load onto his phone. Im looking for something like that but cant seem to find one in the android market. I downloaded Websharing lite and although it works, the downfall is I need to physcially login through the computer with the files I want to load on my phone. I want to be able to do this remotely. Accessing through wifi is what im looking for. I dont need to access further than a wifi signal. Anyone with any suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Well thanks for your legal advise mr law professor. I was just asking because my brother has a stock app that came on his vibrant that lets him do exactly what I am asking but his phone wont let him share it. We have 5 computers and 4 wifi gaming systems on our home network that all have music, movies and pictures that we all access and would like to be able to access them on my phone.

Anyone else out there that might be of help, minus legal quotes, care to suggest any apps?

Thanks in advance.:D

Upvote 0
Well, assuming the computers and your phone are on the same WIFI network.....I don't see why could not use apps such as:

ASTRO File Manager - Android app on AppBrain
or
ES File Explorer - Android app on AppBrain

Both of these Apps allow you to access (Cut,Copy,Delete,Open) files on any Shared folder in the computer from your phone. It uses the normal network sharing method that computers use to share files over a network.

This does NOT require any extra applications to be installed on your computer.

Reactions: isaemm
Upvote 0
I have Astro and tried connecting but am having problems. It keeps asking for a username and password but none of our computers have either of those. Must be some settings I need to adjust. I just fooled around with it for a bit. Will look into it more when I get the time. I also tried ES and same issue. But ES did actually seem to find the pc in our netowork faster and easier than astro. Who n
knows, maybe easy than what Im making it out to be since Im pretty new to this. Wish it worked as well as my brothers Allshare on his phone. He can download movies from one of the pcs with no problems at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones