• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Media" sound stopped working, as well as in call ear-speaker

TheKat

Lurker
Dec 8, 2010
Both these problems started at the same time, so I imagine they are related, but weird.

I have Samsung Captivate that I just hard-reset back to stock while trying to solve this.

Two sound based problems:
1) Media sound does not "work". That is music playback/media sounds do not work through the built in speaker. They DO work through the headset. Notification shounds and ringing DO work through the built in speaker. No even the AT&T startup Swoosh plays sound.

2) When in call, I cannot hear anything through the front side ear speaker. If I hit the 'speaker' button and use the loudspeaker it works. If I use a headset, it works.

I've tried everything I can think of (uninstalling apps, changing settings), I've even just completed a hard reset and reformat of my SD cards with reset... Nothing changed.

I am unsure what else to check or change, and since I just did a factory-reset I also don't know what else might possibly be wrong...

Any guidance appreciated.

Both these problems started at the same time, so I imagine they are related, but weird.

I have Samsung Captivate that I just hard-reset back to stock while trying to solve this.

Two sound based problems:
1) Media sound does not "work". That is music playback/media sounds do not work through the built in speaker. They DO work through the headset. Notification shounds and ringing DO work through the built in speaker. No even the AT&T startup Swoosh plays sound.

2) When in call, I cannot hear anything through the front side ear speaker. If I hit the 'speaker' button and use the loudspeaker it works. If I use a headset, it works.

I've tried everything I can think of (uninstalling apps, changing settings), I've even just completed a hard reset and reformat of my SD cards with reset... Nothing changed.

I am unsure what else to check or change, and since I just did a factory-reset I also don't know what else might possibly be wrong...

Any guidance appreciated.

How old is it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones