"Media" sound stopped working, as well as in call ear-speakerSupport

Last Updated:

1. TheKat

TheKat New Member This Topic's Starter

Both these problems started at the same time, so I imagine they are related, but weird.

I have Samsung Captivate that I just hard-reset back to stock while trying to solve this.

Two sound based problems:
    1) Media sound does not "work". That is music playback/media sounds do not work through the built in speaker. They DO work through the headset. Notification shounds and ringing DO work through the built in speaker. No even the AT&T startup Swoosh plays sound.

2) When in call, I cannot hear anything through the front side ear speaker. If I hit the 'speaker' button and use the loudspeaker it works. If I use a headset, it works.

I've tried everything I can think of (uninstalling apps, changing settings), I've even just completed a hard reset and reformat of my SD cards with reset... Nothing changed.

I am unsure what else to check or change, and since I just did a factory-reset I also don't know what else might possibly be wrong...

Any guidance appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. MegatronVsMe

MegatronVsMe Well-Known Member

How old is it?

3. TheKat

About 2 months.

Weirdest thing though... Last night it just started suddenly working again. All the speakers and sounds started working again. I've no idea why...

4. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Next time it happens, press down firmly where the speaker is.

In the AT&T Forum, someone had mentioned this fixed their speaker problem, but I got the feeling it was the speakerphone side that was their prob.

5. Cycleman6

Cycleman6 New Member

My sound quit working tonight as well. Phone is only two days old. I tried removing the battery and sim card, no fix. So I then 'agressively' tapped the speaker..solved the issue..

6. TheKat

My issue turned out to be a hardware defect with the audio jack. Phone had to be replaced.