• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

memory card class 4

hels

Lurker
Jun 5, 2012
Hi all i am wanting to get a 32gb memory card for my arc and also my fella's xperia play. Ive found some on ebay but they are coming up with class 4 on them. What does this mean? I noticed on my 8gb in phone says class 2 . Is this class bit important?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Hels
Here's what a Google search of "memory card class definition" reveals:

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speed Class Rating

The SD Association defines standard speed classes indicating minimum performance to record video. These are defined in terms of suitability for different applications:

• Class 2 for SD video recording (2 MB/sec)
  • Class 4 and 6 for HD ~ Full HD video recording (class 4: 4 MB/sec, class 6: 6 MB/sec)
  • Class 10 for Full HD video recording and HD still consecutive recording (10 MB/sec)
  • UHS Speed Class 1 for real-time broadcasts and large-size HD videos
The specification defines these classes in terms of performance curves which translate into the following minimum performance levels (on an empty card)

Cheers
Brit

Upvote 0
Hi all i am wanting to get a 32gb memory card for my arc and also my fella's xperia play. Ive found some on ebay but they are coming up with class 4 on them. What does this mean? I noticed on my 8gb in phone says class 2 . Is this class bit important?

Thanks in advance for any help

The higher the class... the higher the read/write speed... anything class 4 and above is sufficient.

Edit: just realized this is an old thread..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones