Memory Card for Hero

Last Updated:

1. AidanW

AidanW Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi people, I'm needing to buy a memory card before my holidays. Looking for a big one, however the 32g looks a bit too expensive so it will probably be a 16g. Are there any specific types that help the hero run faster? I remember seeing a certain thread saying how a certain type of memory card doesn't save the cache (or something along them lines!). I know that it has to be a microSD

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Hmm, it's possible to run something called the dalvik-cache off the SD card if you're rooted, maybe that's what you've read about?

The thing to look for is the class of the card. The higher the class, the quicker the read/write speeds of the card. The phone comes with a class 2 and a lot of people upgrade to class 6 cards.

If you're rooted and run apps2sd, where the apps and the dalvik-cache are running from the sd card, then having a class 6 card is handy. If you don't plan on doing that then it would really only affect when you're playing media files and wouldn't be so important.

3. AidanW

Okkk, good information thanks. I haven't rooted YET- but plan to in the coming week. So the brand of the card doesn't matter? However the class does?

4. Xyro

Yeah I don't really know enough about em to say which brand is best. Size, price and class are all more important IMO.

5. AidanW

6. Xyro

I ended up deciding between the same two cards :p (well, the 8GB versions anyway).

I went with the transcend in the end, since I wasn't sure if 'SDHC PLUS' was somehow different to SDHC. It's probably meaningless but I knew the transcend would be compatible.

7. jev

jev Well-Known Member

You'll need microSD, no doubt about it. As long as you're using it mainly for reading, speed doesn't really matter - almost all cards are able to read at reasonable speeds. If you plan on writing to it a lot, it may pay to get a class 6 card or so (6 Mbyte/sec sustained writing speed).

There's no need to get the best of the best, but it may pay to get a well-known brand like SanDisk. But please be careful, there are a lot of cheap knockoffs for sale! The Samsung card just mentioned by Aidan looks like a standard SDHC card, not a microSD. The other one is a microSD card and Transcend is a well known brand, but I am not familiar with the webstore that's selling it (which means nothing!).

8. Xyro

Hmm yeah sorry didn't notice that one wasn't a micro-SDHC. This was the one I was thinking of, but it looks like there isn't a 16GB version of that available on amazon.

9. JockVSJock

JockVSJock Active Member

This is a good thread, I'm in the market to upgrade my micro sd card.

32 GB card is a bit expensive, however I could see myself paying for a 16 GB card.

thanks

10. chrish

chrish Member

Also looking to upgrade but I am considering 32Gig. Anyone used one on a Hero yet? Any comments/recommendations? Is there a risk spending so much - I don't want it to fail after spending so much money ...

Thanks, Chris

11. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Well-Known Member

gonna get myself one too... although I thought the max the hero could take was 8gb? I thought I read that somewhere... am I talking bull?

12. Xyro

I've never heard that before. I know 16GB is fine and I'm pretty sure even 32 is fine.

13. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Well-Known Member

Ah - I think I was thinking that because once you go over 4 it turns into SDHC...?

Can the hero definitely take microsdhc as well as the older microsd?

Cheers :)

14. Xyro

Yup, I'm using a 8GB SDHC. Never had any issues with it :)

15. Adrian4408

Adrian4408 Active Member

16. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I'd go for the cheaper MyMemory one. I've not used these cards but I have three of their own-brand CF cards for my DSLR and they perform as expected and have been completely reliable.

17. Adrian4408

Adrian4408 Active Member

Thanks I'll order one & let you know.

18. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

nice move[​IMG]