Memory Card Issues Xperia X10Support

Last Updated:

1. RizXperia

RizXperia Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

01/10/10

Morning folks ,

Having an issue with my Sony Ericsson X10 Xperia. When it is plugged in to the usb port and is mounted i have tried to access the memory card and it comes up on screen as " Memory card unavailable " which means i cant access the memory card until i unplug it from the computer. Is this how it works or does my phone have a fault.

Cheers

Riz

Advertisement
  2. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

Looks like the drivers need to be re-installed

3. RizXperia

How would i do that ?

4. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

Go into device manager (search it on the start menu), locate your phone (make sure it is connected), right click and uninstall then unplug your phone from your computer.

Now re-connect your phone and it will install the drivers :)

5. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member

Let us know if the fix (Updated Driver) resolved you card trouble....

6. RizXperia

Hi there
    am having a problem locating drivers any chance of giving a step by step guide on how to do it plz ?

7. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

You can sometimes trick the pc into reinstalling the drivers by putting your phone into USB debugging mode and then connecting it. Its Menu>Settings>Applications>Development and tick USB debugging.

8. RizXperia

Do i do this from the phone or the computer meny settings etc ???????????

9. rosered

My instructions refer to your phone, once you have ticked it, plug in the phone to the PC and see what happens.

10. RizXperia

Sorry about earlier was having a blonde moment no offence intended. I dont think i worderd my problem clearly so here goes. Xperia X10 when mounted to the pc via Usb i can view files etc on the computer but when i try to go through the phone to see what videos i have on phone so i know what to label them i get this message on phone " MEMORY CARD UNAVAILABLE " while still connected to the PC. I take it you can only view files while being connected to one either the PC or the phone and not both together ??

Rizxperia

11. rosered

Ahhhh, it all becomes clear!:D Yes when the SD card is being used as a device on your PC the phone can't access it.

Gosh that was easy. Any more questions!?;)

12. RizXperia

LOL CHEERS MATE SORRY WAS NOT THINKING CLEAR WHEN I WROTE FIRST MESSAGE . DO YOU KNOW IF THE xPERIA x10 IS GETTING A SOFTWARE UPGRADE ?

13. rosered

Yes it will, supposed to start at the end of the month but depends on how blonde you are:eek::D... no, no sorry meant to say depends how long your carrier takes to check it and stick its own bits of bloatware into the mix. So hopefully people will start seeing it in November.

In all seriousness, you might want to check what version you are on at the moment Menu>Settings>About Phone and scroll to bottom, the most current UK build is R2BA026 but the last digit does vary between carriers. As long as you are in the 20's you are probably OK to wait til Android 2.1 comes out.

14. powerkiter

powerkiter Well-Known Member

LMAO now where is that double face palm picture :p

15. RizXperia

Lol u funny sod. Cool is 020 just checked. Will the update come through automatically as my software option is set to search for updates or do i have to call up someone ?? Since u know so much what will the update consist off or what will be the benefits ??

16. rosered

You should receive a notifcation on your phone if its set to automatically check.

Product Launch Blog

If you scroll down a bit on the above link there is a list of what it will contain. Basically it will make the phone faster, the battery should last longer, you get HD video, live wallpapers and hopefully some bug fixes. In my own view, it won't make my day to day use of the phone very different but will add a few nice bits on top.

17. powerkiter

2.1 is the next big update but dont expect loads though, a few apps, slightly faster, live wallpapers (battery killer) and going by other phones with 2.1 a longer battery life with the much touted HD recording but that was promised before the phone was released. Plus we was meant to get HD before 2.1 so...

I'm going to stop now as I will just rant about SE again...

18. RizXperia

K mate no prob, thanks for all the input. One last query about the memory card when connected to the pc i cant see what the videos are is there a way around this as just now i have not labelled them and they are shoving vid 1 vid 2 etc etc.

Would it be possible to get ur email as i am not always on the forum and if i am ever stck and need help i know where to go

Cheers

Riz

19. rosered

You could download a file manager from the market, something like Astro or Linda are both good and then you can use them to rename the videos.

And I am always happy to answer questions on the forum either in a thread or by PM but I don't give out my email address sorry. You can access the forum on your phone however as long as you have a 3g signal.

20. RizXperia

K mate cheers. I got the Astro app on phone but i take it while i connected to Pc with phone it dont work ?

21. powerkiter

Keep the phone connected with the USB lead and just unmount the card rename and then remount :)

22. RizXperia

K mate thanks again. Will leave u in peace for now sure i have frazzled ur brains enough for one evening LOL