Memory Card

Last Updated:

1. tintumat

tintumat Member This Topic's Starter

I changed my memory card from 2GB to 8GB SDHC card, after that my phones acting kinda slow, please help!!!!!!!

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Did you reformat the new card to FAT32 ?

3. tintumat

no. should i reformat it to FAT32?

4. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

first question would be do you know what class 8gb sdhc you got? and Second was it pre formated fat32? my guess would be that it is a class 2 and because of the slow speed and larger amount of space it is going to take longer to read... if it is a class 6 well than try what JustJimJpc said..

5. tintumat

I have a 8GDB SDHC class 2.

6. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member

Is this because apps like Music and Album read through the whole SD card when they display the files that are available? Does the slowness depend on the number of files stored on the card? Is it possible to tell the OS or the apps to ignore specified folders (to speed up the process)?

7. zuner

zuner New Member

8. justjimjpc

No not possible as this is the OS doing its thing .... only possible if the OS was changed to allow search options ...

9. prepbgg

Surely this will become a major nuisance as SD card capacity gets bigger and people put more on them.

And does it mean that every time an App stores pictures on the SD card they will all be included in the Album?

10. steve_f

steve_f Member

I have an 8gig Class 6 coming to me in the post tomorrow, was hoping this would make a positive difference.

11. prepbgg

I don't think the question about FAT32 has been answered. If you have a Windows PC you can check in Windows Explorer how it is formatted. Open up the view where you see the disc drives listed, right-click on the "Removable Disk" icon representing the SD card, and select Properties. Near the top of the Properties window it will indicate whether it is "FAT32" or "NTFS".

If you need to format it, there is a "Format SD card" option on the Hero under Settings->SD card & phone storage. I presume that this will format it with the FAT32 file system.

I have just inserted the microSD card that I have bought. It is 8GB and type 4. So far it seems very slick, but bearing in mind the above discussion I imagine that is because at present I have copied relatively few files (especially photos) onto it ... many fewer than I had on the original card. This would bear out the premise that speed is affected not by the size of the card as such but by the number of files (media and documents) stored on it.

Rather alarmingly, when I tried running Albums and Music immediately after inserting the new card they both said that they couldn't find any of the photos or mp3 files that I had copied onto it. Luckily, after a shortish time both Apps woke up and started searching for and found all the photos and music.

12. justjimjpc

I dont think that number of files on the card is a valid reason ... as SDCard where developed for Cameras ... if that was the case then all camera users would have problems saving, viewing and retrieving their photos ...

I dont believe that to be the history with these cards ...

13. prepbgg

I wonder, then, what it is that causes people to experience speed problems with larger SD cards?