• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Memory cards in N3

Here's a very good reference for battery care.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Thanks. That was very interesting.

And I've just checked and Apple is STILL recommending one deep discharge/charge cycle a month for its computers (one of which I'm typing this on). [I may have mentioned I have used only  computers since 1983 but decided firmly not to get an iPhone.]

Upvote 0
Thanks. That was very interesting.

And I've just checked and Apple is STILL recommending one deep discharge/charge cycle a month for its computers (one of which I'm typing this on). [I may have mentioned I have used only  computers since 1983 but decided firmly not to get an iPhone.]
I too have been using Apple computers for years. Although I was against the idea of a captive battery in the newer MBP models, I must say I've always had great service from them. In fact they've routinely exceeded the number of cycles they're rated for. The 15" MBP Retina I'm currently using runs well within range when doing resource intense modeling and rendering. Not bad considering its ridiculously thin.

Upvote 0
I need this explaining.
3_up_icon_arrow.gif
3_up_icon_arrow.gif
3_up_icon_arrow.gif

And I don't think the deep discharge cycles that certainly used to be advisable with some fairly recent battery technology were at all mystical. Especially, that first one. I was just wondering if it was still advisable.

Yourmileage.gif

There were articles going round up to the last couple of years that suggested pulling the battery off charge then further charging to be done to give it a boost. I don't remember the finer details but all I know is I've never mucked about with any of these charging regimes and never suffered from below average battery usage.
The latest batteries don't have the memory effect so suffer even less battery degradation. However after 12 months usage put a new one in and see the difference!

Upvote 0
The OP asked if the N3 would support the UHS-1 class 10 transfer rates. Anybody know? What about the N2 or GS4 do they?

Anybody know or understand how two microsd cards that are both class 10 and UHS-1 can have vastly different speeds? I have a sandisk ultra that claims 30MB/s while in another post someone referred to a Samsung pro model that is 70MB/s.

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MGCGB/AM): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A): Electronics

If the note 3 does support the uhs-1 and class 10 speeds then I might just switch to the Samsung card. But still don't understand the speed difference in those two brands above

Upvote 0
I need this explaining.
3_up_icon_arrow.gif
3_up_icon_arrow.gif
3_up_icon_arrow.gif

And I don't think the deep discharge cycles that certainly used to be advisable with some fairly recent battery technology were at all mystical. Especially, that first one. I was just wondering if it was still advisable.

Yourmileage.gif

I meant I'll take the latest back up from my N2 and restore it in my n3. Nova settings will be copied over so I dont have to start from scratch and all my apps will be installed automatically from my backup pro.

Upvote 0
The OP asked if the N3 would support the UHS-1 class 10 transfer rates. Anybody know? What about the N2 or GS4 do they?

Anybody know or understand how two microsd cards that are both class 10 and UHS-1 can have vastly different speeds? I have a sandisk ultra that claims 30MB/s while in another post someone referred to a Samsung pro model that is 70MB/s.

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MGCGB/AM): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A): Electronics

If the note 3 does support the uhs-1 and class 10 speeds then I might just switch to the Samsung card. But still don't understand the speed difference in those two brands above

kinda my point....if UHS-1 compatibility in the N3 is present then saving to the card will be quicker than a non UHS-1 compatible device. The price difference between uhs-1 and non uhs-1 cards is negligible so cost wasnt my concern and the uhs-1 cards can be used at normal speeds in a non compatible device...was just wondering whether the n3 is uhs-1 compatible.

Upvote 0
I have been advised to use Samsung cards in the Note 3. I had a SanDisk card in my OG Droid and it died on me. The Note 3 manual says:

Some memory cards may not be fully compatible with the device. Using an
incompatible card may damage the device or the memory card, or corrupt the data
stored in it.

At least by using a Samsung card, if it does die on you then they will have a harder time explaining themselves to you. I bought the Samsung one. But always periodically backup up vital data to the PC in case of card failure ;)

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Sure, no doubt that Samsung could be implying that... but the manual stops short of saying "we recommend using only original Samsung memory cards" or something to that effect.

Any card can go bad, and of course I would never send my card in with the phone for warranty work. Maybe I'm reading into it, but I'm rolling the dice on the Samsung card being far more "compatible" than the SanDisk card.

Upvote 0
1) At least by using a Samsung card, if it does die on you then they will have a harder time explaining themselves to you. I bought the Samsung one.

2) But always periodically backup up vital data to the PC in case of card failure ;)

1> Precisely, some phones are like Apple Computers, in regards to being somewhat sensitive to memory chips. Fifteen years of Apple laptops have taught me that they work best with Samsung memory. We have well over twenty Android users at work, most with either SGS 3, SGS 4, or Note 2 models. The favorite card is Samsung.

2> As far as I'm concerned nothing beats daily backups to my server. Especially since basic flash chips like in our phones or USB flash drives do fail with zero warning. We all have lots of time and effort invested in our work, therefore keeping a good backup routine is priceless.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I have the following sandisk nearly 8 months in the note 2 without any problem.
SanDisk Extreme microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Memory Cards

That's the problem with SD cards: they give out with little to no warning. I had a great 32 GB card in my OG Droid for a long time and then - one day - it was just dead. All that data was shot. Fortunately, I had made a backup shortly before, so I really didn't lose that much.

Upvote 0
does anyone have an N2 or GS4? do they have UHS-1 capability to do the higher speeds? Anyone know if its marketing gimmic that the samsung says its uhs-1 is 70mb/s while a sanddisk ultra also a uhs-1 class 10 only lists 30mb/s?

Already mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a UHS-1 Class 10 card in my Note 2 since day 1. Used it in my Motorola Photon prior to that. No issues.

As for higher speeds? I never noticed much of a difference quite honestly. With all the talk, it still takes forever to transfer over a lot of data at once. When transferring bits of data at a time, speed is pretty good and similar to a pc's HDD at standard speeds.

Upvote 0
Already mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a UHS-1 Class 10 card in my Note 2 since day 1. Used it in my Motorola Photon prior to that. No issues.

As for higher speeds? I never noticed much of a difference quite honestly. With all the talk, it still takes forever to transfer over a lot of data at once. When transferring bits of data at a time, speed is pretty good and similar to a pc's HDD at standard speeds.

well I expected it to function yes. thanks for replying though. Its the higher speed versus standard microSD that i'm asking. There are ways to benchmark that, I need to dig further I guess.

Upvote 0
The EXTREME is rated faster than the ULTRA, check page 4 of the link you posted.

Right-O Kolio. I found that after I posted the link, but didn't have time to come back. Now I am trying to figure if getting the extreme is worth the price. The Samsung pro is claimed to be almost as fast, but with the price of the ultra. Of course NONE of it matters if the faster uhs-1 speeds are taken advantage of

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones