Memory help

Last Updated:

1. Nunu2010

Nunu2010 Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone tell me what the desire is like for memory

i know that it takes a micro sd upto 32 gig but what can be saved on that is it just music ext or will the downloaded apps save to this also?

what is the phone memory like im sorry im due upgrade and my choice is between this and the samsung galaxy s so any help would be apprciated

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Until Android 2.2 release (very soon) you can't install apps on the SD card. The internal memory varies depending on what ROM it comes with (branded, unbranded etc), but its less than 200MB on android 2.1. Not much.

3. Nunu2010

so its saves to the phone memory then? how many apps roughly is this?

when you say android 2.2 am i better waiting until that comes out? or is it something i will be able just to upgrade on the phone? im sorry about all the questions i am new to all this smart phone stuff

4. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I got about 147Mb free on my phone when I first got it and still have around 30Mb free.

You should get a fair few apps on before you start running low. A lot are only a few hundred Kb's. You can back them up to the SD card using a file manager called Astro, this way you can uninstall an app if you need the space and then easily re-install it later again using Astro without having to redownload.

You could be waiting up to about 3 months for 2.2 to be released so no point waiting, when it comes out it will alert you so you can update.

5. Nunu2010

the phone will alert me? how many apps do you have at the minute if you dont mind me asking? sorry about all this im new to it all

6. nacatomi

I've got 50 installed at the moment. Some proper apps and some stupid things, one I do have as well is copilot GPS that takes about 20Mb of space by itself so if I didn't have that then probably up to another 40 more would fit in that space easily.

When updates are available you get a notification at the top of the screen. This is also true for apps you download from the market.

7. Nunu2010

that is brilliant thank you so much :) gps isnt that already in built?

8. nacatomi

Yeah Google maps & Navigations built in but you need to be connected to data for the maps when choosing your route. Have a browse around there are a fewe threads on how much data it uses. CoPilot the maps are stored on sd card so there are no ongoing data costs.