Memory Leak Issue

Last Updated:

1. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's the story:

I've been rooted and running roms for a while, starting when Pete was just coming out with his first Bugless Beauties. I've been through a bunch of ROMS, and installed them pretty much all the ways you can.

Lately I've been on DroidMod 1.0. I had originally installed it without flashing /data. However, I noticed that my memory was getting pretty low...down to about 90 MB according to mini info widget.

So I re-flashed, but this time I allowed it to wipe /data. Wow, what a difference. Immediately, I was up to almost 180M of memory!

But it's been dropping steadily since then. I'm down to about 145M and that's with not loading very many new programs. I'm very conscientious about deleting cache, etc.

Any idea as to what could be causing this?

Thanks all.

Advertisement
  2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Sounds like its working as intended, have you noticed any ill effects?

3. Needsdecaf

One bad thing is that I cannot run profiles on SetCPU or I cannot get over 600 MHZ. And yes, I have "autodetect" selected.

Other than that, it runs fine, but why am I losing so much RAM?

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Damn you have a ton of free RAM compared to me.

5. alostpacket

It's just how Linux/Android works. Basically any RAM not in use is of no use to you. So the OS will store old apps in ram in case it needs them but if a new app requests ram the OS releases it.

Windows 7 also works this way. You'll notice most Win7 PCs will happily eat up to 4GB of RAM even with no apps open (as long as you previously had apps open).

But the Droid is like any system (macs/window/linux/playmobile/legos/tonka trucks/mud wrestling women), it's not perfect so the occasionally reboot can sometimes clear out the riff raff. I reboot maybe once a week.

6. Needsdecaf

30 megs worth?

7. alostpacket

Easily :)

8. Needsdecaf

I'm no computer science major for sure, but that seems like a lot of memory to just disappear. What happens if I was only starting with 70?

9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

You'd be making use of a SWAP file if necessary. Keeping things in RAM is much more efficient than offloading (for lack of a better word - paging is what I mean but not all understand what I mean by that) programs from RAM to SDCard / disk (in terms of your computer). RAM is so much more faster than even Flash memory at this stage that you're better off not worrying about the RAM unless i tcontinues to drop. If you start with 180 free and without installing other apps get down below 10 MB free, then I'd be worried.