Memory on eris question?General

Last Updated:

1. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the eris and when I go into my advanced task killer to kill some apps running it will say like 27m in the top corner. Ill kill apps and it will go to like 40m. How do I make that number bigger so there is more room on my phone? like the one time i killed the apps I left my email and texts open thats it and it went to 70m but now its only around 40m when i have just email and texts. why?

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Email and texts take up memory space, the longer they run the more they fill the memory. You are confusing the ram with the space on the phone. The ram is used to run your apps, its a temporary area where data is stored for quick access. The other memory is where apps and settings are stored, this area does not need to be accessed as often and therefore does not get loaded into ram. If you want more space on the phone for apps you have no choice but to remove some apps to create the space. If you want more ram to run the apps more efficently then thats another story. Some people don't think a task manager is needed while others do, its all up to you. Lately i've not been using the task manager unless i run an app that i won't be using anytime soon and feel the need to kill it off manually instead of letting the os control when its killed.

3. lilbballer27

Oh ok well what should I kill off so I can have more ram?

4. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Well thats debateable and theres several threads here doing just that. The general concensus seems to be to just not run a task manager app, that in itself will save you some ram. Just let the os take care of itself, it does a much better job than windows at allocating memory and killing off tasks that aren't being used on its own. Its sorts like a smart windows os, the way it should have been developed to take care of itself. Its like the HP commercial where the guy is blown away because the PC is optimising itself and making it much faster, this os sorta does the same thing.

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I think the first question is, why do you need more memory? Do you just want more or is the phone really running that slow for you? If it is actually running slow, what is running slow?

6. lilbballer27

I didnt mean more memory. I meant the ram like jwm2 was saying above. When I text it seems very slow. I always delete my texts, calls, and browser history in hopes of making the phone run a little smoother.

7. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

ram is memory, just a different kind. open your task killer and give us a list of what you see.

reason being, if you kill off a task the phone needs the phone will just have to start them back up again, causing your phone to respond slower.

8. lilbballer27

Email, messages, handcent sms, advanced task killer and browser

9. jreed2560

no htc sense, no calendar, no touch input, and no clock? I dunno what apps atk lists, but those have shown up on just about every task killing app I've looked at. BTW I use system panel. not really for killing task, but for system info. I usually have around 66 to 30 mb free. I don't really notice any thing acting slower than normal no matter what that number is showing.
    Also note that clearing browser history is not the same thing as clearing cache in the browser.

Menu>settings>applications>manage applications. The list takes a minute to populate. Hit menu again and sort by size. Start at the top of the list and clear cache for any app thats bigger than 1 mb.

10. lilbballer27

No no clock, calendar, sense, input nothing.

Also I will try that clearing cache of apps.

11. jreed2560

One more thing. Try uninstalling ATK for a couple of days. Just see how your phone does.

12. lilbballer27

My phone seems to be running slow when I text and make calls. It runs completely fine every other time. It seems slower since I installed hand cent. Ever had this issue?

13. OfTheDamned

You may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling handcent then. It may have had an issue when installing. To speed up the dialer on the phone clear your call logs/history.

14. lilbballer27

Ive cleared call logs, where is the history? same spot?

15. OfTheDamned

Same thing.

16. lilbballer27

Ok well thanks. I will uninstall and reinstall hand cent and keep you updated on how my phone runs.