• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Memory problems after ungrade to 4.0.3

Steve1976

Apr 10, 2010
My Sensation upgraded to 4.0.3, which I presume is Ice Cream Sandwich, and since then have been getting a warning message quite regularly that the memory is too low and over 90% of it is used, do I want to clear it now. When I looked at the running apps, it was apparent that this is the problem and where the warning message is coming from. It said that of the 592mb of ram free that around 530 was being used. I am using Go Launcher which appears to be taking up about 45mb of ram, perfect app lock which uses 17mb and Lookout Security which uses about 40mb. I decided to delete Lookout to free up some ram, but keep Go Launcher and Perfect app Lock. However, the ram still is up around 500mb and I still get the warning quite often. Does anyone else get this and is it that the update is too large for the ram in the phone? I'm surprised Android allowed the update to this phone if it can't handle it!

My Sensation upgraded to 4.0.3, which I presume is Ice Cream Sandwich, and since then have been getting a warning message quite regularly that the memory is too low and over 90% of it is used, do I want to clear it now. When I looked at the running apps, it was apparent that this is the problem and where the warning message is coming from. It said that of the 592mb of ram free that around 530 was being used. I am using Go Launcher which appears to be taking up about 45mb of ram, perfect app lock which uses 17mb and Lookout Security which uses about 40mb. I decided to delete Lookout to free up some ram, but keep Go Launcher and Perfect app Lock. However, the ram still is up around 500mb and I still get the warning quite often. Does anyone else get this and is it that the update is too large for the ram in the phone? I'm surprised Android allowed the update to this phone if it can't handle it!

ICS is running fine on my Sensation and the RAM is okay to me as well. At this point I can only suggest that you start removing apps to find the culprits, or do a factory reset. Admittedly, I am running an ICS custom ROM (with Sense as well) so my experience may not be directly comparable.

Reactions: Steve1976
Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a sim free sensation, just upgrade to ICS (like you ).

I run Go Launcher EX, Go Locker and Lookout Security. I don't have the sort of memory problems you are having. Personally I wouldn't get rid of Lookout - or use another security app.

Don't know if you ahve done it or not, but closing down and restarting phone a few times clears out all the temp files and the cache, may sort your problem.
Also App2SD - whilst moving apps to the SD also offer the option to clear the cache.

May be worth a try.

Upvote 0
You're missing a trick if you're still running Go on ICS. I loved it on Gingerbread, but I have to recommend Apex launcher if you want the full ICS experience.

But, back on topic, I use Memory Booster (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.memorybooster.lite&hl=en) if things start hanging. It has a 1x1 widget that I just leave on one of my home screens and it cleans things up when something's been leaking RAM.

Upvote 0
Does anyone else get this and is it that the update is too large for the ram in the phone? I'm surprised Android allowed the update to this phone if it can't handle it!

Yes, my Sensation is lame after getting ICS....usually have around 40-60mb of RAM until I reboot the phone. It then goes up to about 160mb but then starts to drop again after w few hours (Branded UK Vodafone)

Upvote 0
You're missing a trick if you're still running Go on ICS. I loved it on Gingerbread, but I have to recommend Apex launcher if you want the full ICS experience.

But, back on topic, I use Memory Booster (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.memorybooster.lite&hl=en) if things start hanging. It has a 1x1 widget that I just leave on one of my home screens and it cleans things up when something's been leaking RAM.

I took your advice and removed Go Launcher and opted for Apex. What can I say, a much smoother experience, I love it. Seems to have saved about 40 meg of ram too so the whole phone is now a joy to use again. Thanks for the tip mate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones