• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Memory used by Apps - including rarely used ones

Android has a very sophisticated method of managing your device memory so that it is as responsive as possible while saving as much battery life as possible.

Uninstalling apps you dont need is far more effective than trying to manage the active memory yourself, I guarantee you will actually shorten battery life 99.9 percent of the time messing with it than just letting your android manage it's own memory.

Have some faith, after all this isnt Windows.

Impossible to uninstall bloatware without rooting...Eventually someone will make an app that does exactly that and that fellow will make a fortune!

Upvote 0
Since you need system privileges to modify system files, you need root by definition to do that.

The closest you can get to an app that lets you do this is a temporary root, but that's still getting root privileges. But since these things rely on exploits, which are device/version dependent, it cannot be universal.

Just how the OS works.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Not really accurate. In many cases, task killers are ESSENTIAL. If I don't kill tasks every 5 or 10 minutes, my phone will absolutely freeze. People who tell you not to use Task Killers are people who don't use tasks - or pass unproven "theory" on like it's Gospel. Google has yet to design an operating system of decent quality.

Continue worshiping the gospel of task killers.

In the meantime you know nothing about how android really works, dont make a habit of bumping old threads to preach a gospel of a gospel you are trying to fight.

We dont need another crusade of a tired subject.

Reactions: chanchan05
Upvote 0
I basically just use the SystemCleanup app and freeze the system apps that I don't use (such as Talk). That saves me memory, and makes things a bit faster on my phone. Plus, it doesn't actually delete it. So if anything horrible happens, I can restore it back.

However, to be safe, I'd make a Nandroid backup before doing that.

Whatever you do, underneath the app, if it says "don'tRemove", DO NOT REMOVE IT Or Freeze it..!

Upvote 0
Hahahahahahaha

Another Android fanboy. Paid? Or confused?

Please. I have a Galaxy Fit, 128mb internal memory, 256mb RAM, 512mhz cpu. I loaded with with heavy widgets (Beautiful Widgets), a launcher (Holo launcher), icons (minimal ui), a heavy third party sms app (handcent) and a heavy keyboard (swiftkey). Doesn't freeze or lag. Loading times can be slow for sending mass sms or opening large ones with attached MMS though. If your claims were true, I won't use that phone to begin with, considering that phone contains my work sim card, and I work in a hospital, where lives are at stake. And that phone is reliable in stability and not freezing.

Any dev you'd talk to knows that Android is coded to manage memory itself, and is basically running the equivalent of Windows Superfetch.

Your phone NEEDING task killers is your own fault. It's like addiction. Using task killers breaks the Android pattern learning function, in such a way that over time it fails to manage apps properly and leading to freezing. Just like how a meth addict ceases to function properly during withdrawal and needs a good cleansing, your phone fails to function properly when a task killer is withheld and thus need a reset to function properly again. But the sickness will come back if again exposed to the drug, in this case a task killer.

I've already seen a similar case to your experiences a year or two ago here in this forum, where his high end phone will freeze if task killers aren't used. After a long thread of convincing him to reset and stop using a task killer, he came back a few weeks later and said that setting up his device to what it was before except for the task killer, and he says the freezes haven't come back.

I also went through the task killer myth, and experienced freezes and the lot back in my GB days, and have personally experienced disproving the task killer myth as well.

None of us here are paid Google advertisers. We are just advanced enough to know that what you preach is false.

If you dislike Android, then leave. As it is, you are like someone running across streets telling everyone you can fly, and everyone who says you can't is lying and paid to say you can't, when even your mother knows you're just hallucinating.

Upvote 0
You're slightly correct. I DID end up "running across the street". After SEVENTEEN Androids, I finally gave in and bought an iPhone months ago - what a difference. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! A phone that doesn't need rebooting 10-40 times a day. iOS vs peppermintsticksherbet (or whatever the latest Google attempt is called).

I can't wait for the Samesong Autocar to come out. At least their drivers won't be able to get back on forums claiming they didn't crash And burn.

Hahahahahahaha

I'm out.

And happily out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones