Menu and Home buttons working intermittently

Last Updated:

1. HTCDesirable

HTCDesirable New Member

I apologise if this topic has already been covered but I have searched the fora.

Please could I have some advice on what to do about my 2yr old Desire from Orange which, until a few weeks ago when my 24 month contract expired and I switched to SIM only, was working OK!

First the Menu button stopped responding each time it was pressed and took several attempts to make it work, then the Home button started working intermittently as well.

I visited an Orange shop and was told that it wasn't their problem as the contract had ended.

Any suggestions about where I might get a repair in SW England would be gratefully received - thanks.

Advertisement
  2. nickabbott

nickabbott Member

It makes you wonder if they build them to last 2 years and then purposely start developing faults!

Mine was exactly the same, working perfectly for 2 years so I moved to a 12 month sim only deal with three after carefully declining a one x and a samsung S3.

Now, my back button and home buttons are like yours! They've gone from working perfect to working very intermittently. My solution was to use a pippet and put IPA (pure) into the buttons over quite a few attempts and they seem to have kept working fine. Although I believe this might only be a temporary fix! A better long term solution might be:

Replacement Black Key Button Keypad+Tools for HTC Desire Bravo 1st Gen 1 ZVKY203 | eBay

I doubt it's legit HTC but it will probably be what I'll be looking at if the IPA doesn't work!

I also read the PCB cleaner from Maplins or the like should do the same thing.

In the end I got mad with it and did use an awful lot of it! But as long as you leave your phone long enough to dry out like I did then it should be alright!

I put about 10-15ml into and around the buttons (thought of dunking it in IPA to be honest - only the first 1cm to cover the buttons!) but just using drops over time seemed to have worked.

Can't belive I gave up a one X and galaxy S3 for a perfectly working Desire that decided to go faulty after 1 month of going on a sim deal! :mad:

Lesson learnt I think, keep for 2 years and sell on ebay!