Mercury in the desire?

Last Updated:

1. Mastermass

Mastermass Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, since Htc has moved away from Amoled and on to S-LCD does this now mean that these displays contain mercury or is the back lighting on it still LED. I have also noticed the in the dark with pixel checker to black (or any black screen) I have noticed that there is some back light bleeding on the top right corner as well as in the middle of the left side, is this normal, are there any other people with the same bleeding in the same area. I just got a Htc Desire and I am kind of disappointed in the display, the color and brightness are fine and the pixel count is perfect for me but I have noticed 3 dead pixels and 2 stuck pixels, and now this back light issue.

-Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Mastermass

bump

3. Mastermass

Does anyone know if the HTC desire contains mercury?

4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Lcd screens have a fairly bright lamp behind them to provide the illumination of the screen.
    With regards to the pixel problems have you tried doing a shut down remove the battery & then replace battery & restart?
    Not sure about the mercury question i will see what i can find out

5. Mastermass

Thanks for your help, I have tried removing the battery and rebooting but I am pretty sure the dead pixels are Hardware fault. After noticing the back light bleeding I went to telus to look at the one they had on display and it had no signs of this bleeding yet it was also a s-lcd screen. I think I will just have to exchange the phone. I am just concerned that is contains mercury, plus if it does it will also be a sign that the back light with degrade substantially over time (my contract is for 3 years, and I will eventually get a new phone but the longer I can stay with this the better).

-Thanks again

6. bass2rez

bass2rez Active Member

I know nothing about mercury in the phone. I wondered from the title whether you thought there was mercury in it for the tilting part of the phone :p No wonder you didnt get many replies at first.

I have an S-LCD screen and I too see the light bleed fron the edges, its most noticable in the dark and am annoyed by it. I havent noticed any dead pixels however.

7. bass2rez

bass2rez Active Member

Why does the mercury concern you, by the way? Are you planning on doing something unusual with your phone?

8. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

mercury used to be a common component on printed circuit boards (PCB's).

However, given the current restriction of hazardous substances (RoHS) regulations, mercury would not be allowed in the manufacture of mobile phones.

it is more likely that a mercury substitute would be used such as a gallium alloy.

9. Mastermass

No, lol I was simply concerned 1. because this object is in your pocket or around you and theoretically "anything" could happen. 2. Because ccfl lamps that are used for display back lights degrade very quickly compared to led (3 years term need longevity). 3. Mercury is very volatile and dangerous.

Yes, but I am wondering if the lcd contains mercury (the back light) how is the display back light?

-Thanks again

10. Mastermass

Bump

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

What are you bumping? How good the back light is?

12. Mastermass

Is there mercury in the back light, and what kind of back light does it use.

-Thanks

13. SUroot

As mentioned before, it is doubtful that mercury has been used, but to be truthful, I doubt anyone here will know for sure.

If you fill in the email inquiry form on the HTC website:

HTC - Support - Customer Service - Support via e-Mail

They will be able to give you an answer. Ensure you select your country from the drop down menu, in case there are any international variations.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

14. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

try calling up htc and asking them directly

15. Mastermass

I did this was there response.

I understand how important it is for you to have all available information about you device. However, HTC Technical Support does not have the necessary information to give you. If the information is not posted on HTC

16. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

like danfrance says, i don't think you'll find your answer here. just buy the phone, pretty sure the screen will still be usable in 3 years.

17. Mastermass

Ok, thanks for trying.

18. SUroot

Sorry we can't be of more help. You'd think HTC tech support would send the question to someone who knows. Ah well.

19. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

or go for the galaxy s which has super amoled

20. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

There is no mercury in the display since it uses an LED panel for the backlight, not CCFL (LED is much thinner and lighter). I don't think there is anything to worry about regarding mercury anywhere in the phone. The motion sensors are not liquid based either.

As for dead pixels and bleeding, my Desire has the S-LCD and I don't have any bleeding, and no dead pixels. I would return it and complain about the display to get a replacement unit.

Mastermass likes this.
  21. Mastermass

Thanks for all your answers and help, I shall exchange the phone.

22. zitr

zitr New Member

Hi! I just got a HTC Desire and have the same problem with the backlight bleed (in the top right corner and in the middle of the left side). Were you able to exchange your phone? is that covered by the warranty?

23. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

Providing you don't break your Desire into lots of small pieces and then eat them, I would suggest you don't need to worry.

24. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

The LCD bleeding issues seems to be pretty common so don't expect it to be better on a replacement model. Though it could be that yours is worse than normal so it's worth a try.

As for all this talk about mercury, it would appear to me be a bit a little over the top to actually care so much. Anything could happen you say. Well then you probably shouldn't carry a phone that emits microwaves! And the battery could explode! And the back has kind of sharp edges so you should probably remove that. SIM card? chocking hazard! I am reminded of a certain XKCD...

[​IMG]
    xkcd: Bag Check