1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Mercury is the best prepaid phone on the marketGeneral

1. cas8180

cas8180 Well-Known Member

So I have been hunting for the perfect prepaid phone for a while now and I must say that I am extremely happy with my mercury (given the couple of bugs that will probably be solved in an update or when we get kernal source + dev support). I thought I would share a finding I came across that basically feels the same way.

Huawei Mercury (Cricket Wireless) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Advertisement
    :
  2. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

on Cricket yes it is, in the prepaid world all together afraid not, nice phone, but not top dog ;)
  3. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Well, the only pre paid up there with it is the LG Esteem, but that's a toss up, and personally I wouldn't trade my Mercury for the Esteem. Nothing lasts long in the Android world, though, as Metro is getting a dual core phone next month.
  4. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

Wonder if Metro is getting that Huawei Ascend P1?
    Overall I would like to know who is getting it.
  5. cas8180

Ok in your opinion whats better?
  6. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

The dual core Metro is getting is the LG Connect 4G. That Huawei was only announced as a GSM phone so far. No telling what carriers will pick up the Ascend P1 and P1s, but if they make CDMA versions, I hope Cricket gets the P1s.
  7. cas8180

I think on the back though it only had a 5MP shooter though correct? I personally would still take a higher clocked single core with better camera over a dual core and lower res camera any day of the week.
  8. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

MetroPCS LG Connect 4G [Hands-on][CES 2012][HD] - YouTube

Yeah 5mp, seems ok. Dual core is nice, but I don't know how it could be any smoother than this phone, and I don't care about playing high end games on a touch screen phone, so dual core isn't that big of a deal for me. I'm happy with what I have right now. I'll see what's out six months from now before I even think about phone shopping again lol.
  9. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

lol true.

Idk, I think the screen is the feature that i need, the bigger the better.
    Ill see what happens when Sprint releases their Nexus, I'll probably flash one over to cricket.
  10. cas8180

I actually have been rocking the 4.3 factor for sometime now so coming over to the mercury with the 4 inch screen seems like the perfect comprise for me. When I play with my evo 3d now it just seems way to big
  11. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I wanted to like the new Nexus, but after looking at it at Best Buy, I really don't. The grey plastic looks cheap, I don't like that it doesn't have buttons, and that thing is just huge! I would have to see how it felt in my front pocket, but I think a 4.6" screen is just too much to carry around all the time. I might like a 4.3" if it was proportioned like the Mercury/ HTC Sensation, but the ones like the Evo 4G are too wide and bulky. If the bigger the better for you, though, check out the Samsung Galaxy Note. I think it's like 5.6". It seems like it would feel silly holding it up and talking into it though. I looked at the Dell Streak 5" and that seemed ridiculously huge to me.
  12. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I need to see the Nexus in person then. Yea the Evo was always too bulky. I read about the Note but isnt it a GSM phone? I think anything over 5 is too exaggerated for a phone, lol. I rooted a Dell Streak 5 and holy hell that thing is useless for a phone. IMO it was more phone than screen.
  13. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's GSM for now, but I'm sure some other carriers will get it (it's a Samsung lol).
    Here's a rumor about it coming to Verizon:

Rumor: Samsung Galaxy Note Headed to Verizon as the Samsung Galaxy Journal
  14. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

I read that the other day, wonder if it will be GSM on VZW.
  15. nimoxp

nimoxp Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Just signed up here,and have owned the Mercury since Dec 21 and I love it.

Did anyone else notice the article link from the OP...the writer had most of the info correct, but then he wrote this.

"There's no Wi-Fi hotspot mode, but that isn't to be expected with this cheap a service plan."

That upsets me a little cause it's untrue as it can provide up to 5 people, and works incredibly well.
  16. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

Hey thats my birthday!
    Welcome btw.

there is a tethering app on this phone?
  17. nimoxp

nimoxp Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome. ;)

Yeah, just.go to settings, and click on wireless&networks and scroll down,ant there is the tethering app.
    the258 likes this.
  18. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

oh wow!
    I always somehow end up there because of connectivity issues with wifi and i have never seen that!
    thanks!!!
  19. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I've noticed PCmag reviews have a lot of mistakes and inaccurate information like that.
  20. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

its always peoples opinion on android phones they will never use in their life but have personal iPhones.
  21. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Nice detailed review of the Honor from Engadget. I know it's not the Mercury, but close enough to be of interest to us. Check out those benchmark scores. Beats the HTC Rezound in Quadrant!

Huawei Honor review -- Engadget
  22. cas8180

Ya I saw that yesterday too and was thinking about posting it. I am surprised by the lack of attention our device is getting by the Dev community.
  23. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

Most of them are too cool for us little guys.