• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Merge razr & maxx razr forums?

you2

Android Expert
Jun 29, 2010
This is really a questino for the mods (no clue where this should be asked):

There are currently two sets of forums - razr and razr maxx. Given that these phones are identical hardware ('cept for the battery) would it not be benefical to send all traffic (and therefore communitry knowledge) to a common place ?

I suspect this recommendation could go either way...

One example that comes to mind relates to the abundance of Samsung Galaxy S II smart phones. Samsung has produced numerous variations of the phone for different carriers. Most are pretty much the same device but are named uniquely... and each has it's own forum here at Android Forums.

Upvote 0
Well - to argue in favor of the merger; the samsung phones do differ (mostly in radios) but also in other small features and in a few cases this has result in siginificant different beahvior (ala epic touch 4g LOS issues).

I.e, the xt910 and xt912 probably have more significant changes than the cdma razr mazz and cdma razr 9ala xt912).
-
I.e, the photon, bionic and atrix really are different phones even though they share many similar components and this is close to the galalxy s2 example.
-
To my knowledge the cdma version of the maxx and non-maxx razr are identical in all ways 'cept the battery.

Upvote 0
Well, part of the thinking with stuff like this is that people google their phone name, and want to go to a forum that is designed for it.

Regular every day people that have no idea it has the same hardware as another phone.

It's one of the uncomfortable places in the administration of AF. Same hardware, different names. Makes it really hard to make it easy for the average guy, as well as for the very technical (who wants to monitor two root forums for what could all go in one?).

Upvote 0
..sorry guys. Caught some hell for doing that, had to change it back.

Fair enough.

TBH, I still find it odd that the VZW and GSM versions are merged. I would think the VZW Razr and Maxx would be a much better fit as they are running the EXACT same software build (per Phandroid article). The Maxx has more similarities than the GSM at that point.

:)

Upvote 0
I think once users are used to the forums, they'll reject changes that change the way they use their favourite forum. I think its more important getting this right at go live (following the gnex) than legacy forums / existing devices.

My concern is that folks are becoming frustrated by having two forums as they are starting identical threads in each.

I was very involved in the GNex merge and there are far more nuances with those devices than the Razr's. In this case the difference is like having and extended battery in the GNex, but rooting and roms are identical.

Upvote 0
Im not saying dont do it, you all know I hate separate forums. In fact I STILL think there are 2 Gnex ATR forums too many.

I suppose what I am saying is its easier to get it right first time than to change it after the fact. Weigh up how much longevity the forum actually has and offset that against the angst it will cause.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Im not saying dont do it, you all know I hate separate forums. In fact I STILL think there are 2 Gnex ATR forums too many.

I suppose what I am saying is its easier to get it right first time than to change it after the fact. Weigh up how much longevity the forum actually has and offset that against the angst it will cause.
Amen:adore:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones