• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] Complete ZTE Merit Guide: Root, Flash Recovery and Install New ROM (with links)

What error message are you getting for the reboot command?

message is for reboot = Operation not permitted
message is for adb reboot = adb: permission denied

I did not have a problem at all up till that point this is the very first time for me and the phone as I bought the phone brand new out of box from store.
I have since restored my phone to factory and will try one more time.

Upvote 0
Ok I think I have a screen shot of my cmd coding up to the reboot step

EDIT:
I got past the reboot and now stuck on pushing the file su over. Abit confused here.
I tried this command

adb push su /system/xbin/su
it responded with no file or directory

so I figured I must need to give it the direct path of where su file is so I retyped the command to say this

adb push C:\Program Files\Android\tools\su /system/xbin/su
This returned a complete well almost complete list of commands and explanations for the commands.
I know it is a user error here and I am doing something wrong but what exactly am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
Ok I have completed all the steps above and I still have a question lol sorry
I had before I did the flash recovery and ROM replacement over 100 mb of available space on my phone
and now I only have 79 mb available space on phone I was under the impression that I was gaining more space on my phone unless I am missing something here or I did something wrong but I do like the new look of my phone and that annoying factory start up is no long annoying me. :)
But why is there less space instead of more space on my phone?

Upvote 0
Try wiping the dalvik-cache. It can be done in recovery mode. Which ROM did you go with?

The one.three I guess it is with this tech as I dont know of any more roms to use.
I also have noticed that my signal is not quite as strong as it was before although I am sure it is not due to this rooting or anything just funny it has dropped at same time as rooting and modding my phone

Upvote 0
ok i got as far as you did here ran the command

and got the list of user commands like you did what did you do after that.

Ok I think I have a screen shot of my cmd coding up to the reboot step

EDIT:
I got past the reboot and now stuck on pushing the file su over. Abit confused here.
I tried this command

adb push su /system/xbin/su
it responded with no file or directory

so I figured I must need to give it the direct path of where su file is so I retyped the command to say this

This returned a complete well almost complete list of commands and explanations for the commands.
I know it is a user error here and I am doing something wrong but what exactly am I doing wrong?

Reactions: kingmt
Upvote 0
I finally got this to work last night using the one.three ROM but soon after my data stopped working so did a factory reset and it reset fine but still no data. From another post
I seen another had this issue as well and had to imput the vpn/apn from the carrier for the data to work and that's where I'm stuck. I have the net10 version of this phone and know the info I need to imput but dont know exactly where in the settings to add a new apn or the correct vpn option. any help would be great so my girlfriend wont kill me for messing up her new phone lol.

Upvote 0
Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names.

Tried that and wouldn't allow me to enter a new apn. I did figure a way out though and got it working!

Downloaded apn manager app online, put that on my sd then installed from phone. Then created new apn from apn manager.

For those using Net10 unlimited data on this phone here's the info if you run into this problem.

<apn carrier="Net10" mcc="310" mnc="410" apn="att.mvno" proxy="proxy.mvno.tracfone.com" port="80" mmsc="http://mmsc.cingular.com" mmsproxy="66.209.11.33" mmsport="80" type="default,supl,mms" />

worked like a charm..

This is my first android and wow was all this confusing but got er going at last =D

Upvote 0
13. Paste this command and press enter

• reboot
  • press "enter"
After it reboots, once again type adb shell into the command prompt and press enter. Then enter the following commands (copy and paste is your best bet)

The proper command here is: ADB Reboot

Caps aren't necessary but it will stall the process if you don't put ADB in front of the 'reboot' command.

Upvote 0
Ok I know this forum was not written by the owner of the one.three ROM but I was wanting to know if there was away of getting my stock browser back on here I have looked around for it in the apps store but couldn't find it is there away of me snatching my browser from my stock files and moving it to my new setup? "this one.three setup?

Upvote 0
OK. I got to this point. I did have to change a few commands to get root but it seems to be working.
------------------------------------

TO INSTALL NEW ROM

If you want a really cool version of gingerbread (or I think it is) on your stock Straight Talk ZTE Merit (with the bottom scrolling thing, ability to overclock with overclock program included, and of course get rid of that tracfone startup screen and music and replace with a much more appealing and silent att android splash/startup...put the file named "one.three.zip" on the root of your sd card (same way you did the Recovery.img).

Next, open up command prompt and type

• adb shell
  • press "enter"
  • reboot recovery
  • press "enter"

It should reboot into recovery, use side buttons to navigate to "install zip" and then choose zip to install and navigate to the option to install one.three. It will take around 5-10 minutes to do this. After it's done, it will tell you it's successful and you will be able to scroll up and down the menu with the navigation keys on the side of the phone. Just press the back arrow key, navigate to "restart" and the phone should restart with ZTE star logo then switch to the AT&T think possible logo and then an animated "Android" logo. It may stay here up to ten minutes during the first boot.

You're good to go, enjoy exploring!
My question is this command. Is it saying the command should be "
flash_image recovery /sdcard/one.three.zip
"? I ran this command from the folder I had the zip file in. The phone will no longer load into recovery instead it gets frozen at the splash screen"ZTE". It takes several battery pulls to get it to restart.

Can someone give me the steps & commands to fix my mistakes?

Forgot to say this was after changing directories to "su". I guess it is the same as changing directory.

Upvote 0
Ok I know this forum was not written by the owner of the one.three ROM but I was wanting to know if there was away of getting my stock browser back on here I have looked around for it in the apps store but couldn't find it is there away of me snatching my browser from my stock files and moving it to my new setup? "this one.three setup?

I've been looking around for the stock ROM because at one point, before I got everything working well I wanted to go back to stock. every file that I've came across has either been erased or deleted. Also ABD couldn't find my device anymore so what is a guy to do if he wants to switch to another ROM if ABD can't find the device any longer?

Upvote 0
I've been looking around for the stock ROM because at one point, before I got everything working well I wanted to go back to stock. every file that I've came across has either been erased or deleted. Also ABD couldn't find my device anymore so what is a guy to do if he wants to switch to another ROM if ABD can't find the device any longer?
I am not sure how to do this either but it seams that adb needs the gingerbread pack installed first.

Upvote 0

I'd like the stock web browser too but can't find it anywhere. If anyone has it I would be greatfull

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones